cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

ORIGIN

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

ORIGIN

In my entire life, I only wrote once Mathcad-sheet with ORIGIN not 0 and not 1.

ORIGIN-0-1.png

Questions.

1. Do you have own Mathcad-sheet with ORIGIN not 0 or 1?
  2. What ORIGIN was in my Mathcad-sheet?
  3. What is it this my Mathcad-sheet? You can find it here 2⁵ Problems for STEM Education - 1st Edition - Valery Ochkov - Rout (routledge.com)
28 REPLIES 28

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

In my entire life, I only wrote once Mathcad-sheet with ORIGIN not 0 and not 1.

ORIGIN-0-1.png

Questions.

1. Do you have own Mathcad-sheet with ORIGIN not 0 or 1?

Do you know how many worksheets I've written?   Neither do I.  😀   I haven't a clue whether I've used any other ORIGIN. 

2.  What ORIGIN was in my Mathcad-sheet?

The same as your question number!

3.  What is it this my Mathcad-sheet? You can find it here 2⁵ Problems for STEM Education - 1st Edition - Valery Ochkov - Rout (routledge.com)

Three dice.

Stuart

I only know because it was the first time I seriously thought about how to deal with arbitrary ORIGIN in Mathcad Express functional programming, including negative ORIGIN and stupidly large magnitude ORIGIN, and recently copied some functions from it in response to a comment from Luc.   I think it's the only time, as well.  I'll stick to using ORIGIN=0 like the Romans didn't intend us to use - that's another thing the Romans didn't do for us.  In fact, I was wondering how you'd mark an ORIGIN=0 clock in Roman numerals - N (as did Bede) or O (to bring them up to date) or ...?

Nice plug for the book, BTW.

>Three dice.

No. Two dice.

>The same as your question number!

No. ORIGIN=2

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

>Three dice.

No. Two dice.

Two, three, who's counting?  😎

This is what happens when I try to remember things! 😀

>The same as your question number!

No. ORIGIN=2

What was your question number again?

Stuart

1. Luc - это гений Маткад 11

2. Roman zero

RC.png

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

2. Roman zero

RC.png

Not as nice looking as yours, but I was going to go with the more traditional N (nulla).

2021 11 07 A.png

Stuart

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III
(To:StuartBruff)

@StuartBruff wrote:

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

2. Roman zero

<Smart Roman Numeral Clock>

Not as nice looking as yours, but I was going to go with the more traditional N (nulla).

But then I thought, we often speak of time in terms of "minutes until the hour", so why not "hours until the day"?

2021 11 07 B.png

Stuart

Animation!

I saw a watch like this on a submarine

0-24.png

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

Really!? Is alibaba now selling submarines, too ? ‌‌

https://www.alibaba.com/photo-detail/Luxury-Aluminum-24-hour-Wall-Clock_60742635363.html

You may also be interested in this one at ebay

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA4N1gxMTQz/z/0iIAAOSwo0JWKTV4/$_57.JPG

But given your initial posting here

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/My-clock/m-p/757051/highlight/true#M198120

the dial would have to be rotated 15 degrees counterclockwise!

@Werner_E wrote:

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

But given your initial posting here

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/My-clock/m-p/757051/highlight/true#M198120

the dial would have to be rotated 15 degrees counterclockwise!

This is how the clock was translated in Russia twice a year in spring and autumn. Now it, thank God, has been canceled.

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

This is how the clock was translated in Russia twice a year in spring and autumn. Now it, thank God, has been canceled.

Wish we could get rid of that nonsense, too. 😞

@Werner_E wrote:

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

Really!? Is alibaba now selling submarines, too ? ‌‌

https://www.alibaba.com/photo-detail/Luxury-Aluminum-24-hour-Wall-Clock_60742635363.html

I have a good friend - a former captain of a nuclear submarine. He has such a wristwatch. Wears for show-off.

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

"Contact. Bearing four o'clock".

"Missile launched, four o'clock."

"No, not that four o'clock, the other four o'clock!"

Stuart

The captain bursts into the submarine's control room and shouts:

- Who pressed this button?

Everyone is silent!

- Who pressed this button?

Everyone is silent!

- Okay, to hell with Holland, but there must be discipline!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Fortunately I don't live in the Holland part of the Netherlands...

Or were they targeting that part of Lincolnshire?

@LucMeekes wrote:

Sorry, Luc , I didn't mean to offend you!
It's just that for some reason in Russia it is believed that if a nuclear war breaks out, Holland (for us a synonym for the Netherlands) will die first, and then the rest of the world.
There are many jokes about Holland in Russia.
I'll tell you my case in Holland.
I am cycling from Arnhem to the open-air museum. I see a fence and a park gate. MOSCOWA is written on the gate. I breathed home. I drove in, and this is... a cemetery!

@LucMeekes wrote:

There are two missiles in the sky (over Holland) - Russian and American. One flies from America to Russia, the other, respectively, from Russia to America.
Decided to celebrate the meeting. The Russian rocket treats the American rocket with vodka. We washed a glass, repeated, again. The Russian rocket pours another glass of vodka, and the American rocket says - that's it, I can't take it anymore, I'm already feeling bad. The Russian rocket answers - don't worry, I'll take you home!

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III
(To:LucMeekes)

@LucMeekes wrote:

They might hit that part of Lincolnshire by accident, but not deliberately.  It's too close to my alma mater RAF Cranwell and all the armed forces have gentlepersons' agreements not to bomb each other's main colleges.

Stuart

They say in Heidelberg that the British and Americans did not bomb this city because many pilots studied at the university of this German city.
In Russia, they say that let the Anglo-Saxons settle down with each other, and only then involve the Russians in their disputes.

rocket-submarine.gif

My old Mathcad- animtion

Very good depth control on that submarine,  I'd expect to see depth excursion, due to the change in buoyancy, and a subsequent return to launch depth.  😈

Stuart

@StuartBruff wrote:

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

2. Roman zero

RC.png

2021 11 07 A.png

Stuart

IN = -1

По-русски это стихи:

IN 

Минус один!

In Russia, Roman numbers are used even by not very literate people. One example.
The log house needs to be moved to a new location. Before disassembling it, the logs are numbered in Roman, not Arabic numbers.

brevna.png

Do you know why?

Choose please the correct answer!

1 The carpenter wants to show his high culture - knowledge of antiquity!

2 The carpenter cannot count, but he has a clock with Roman numerals on his left hand. He looks at them and numbers the logs.

Пила.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Roman numbers, below 90, can be all marked with straight strokes (no bends) so they can be made with an axe, a knife or a (chain-)saw. And you could even get beyond 90 if you accept < as a C.

Luc

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

@LucMeekes wrote:

Roman numbers, below 90, can be all marked with straight strokes (no bends) so they can be made with an axe, a knife or a (chain-)saw. And you could even get beyond 90 if you accept < as a C.

Luc

Additive variants of 9 (VIIII) and 90 (LXXXX) were rare but not unknown, apparently.

"Atuatucos XVIIII milia; Condrusos, ..."  (Commentary on the Gallic Wars)

And if it's good enough for Julius, I guess it's good enough for me!  😃

I suppose they could have used mixed-language notation and gone for Greek (E) for one hundred ... maybe even proto-Germanic (H).

Shame they didn't have zero, that would have made life a lot easier (N).

Stuart

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:StuartBruff)

But N is three straight strokes...

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

@LucMeekes wrote:

But N is three straight strokes...

Same as 3, then ... 😁

But, I see your point - all that work for nothing!

Announcements

Top Tags