cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

One method for Eigenvalues does not work

sfan
1-Newbie

One method for Eigenvalues does not work

Greeting, everyone

1.JPG

With the first approach, Mathcad cannot return to a solution. But the second one using Polyroots works.

And when I check with the eigenvalues derived from above, the determinant is not equal to 0, why?

2.JPG

Thank you for your time.

Best

Shawn

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AlanStevens
17-Peridot
(To:sfan)

Are you sure it can't be solved, or is it just that it can't be displayed (which is the situation in Mathcad 15)?  If the latter try replacing one of your integers by a floating point number as in my (M15) picture below (I can't test your file as I don't have Prime 3.1).  Note that I've replaced the 1 in your M matrix by 1.0.

eigvals.PNG

Alan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
sfan
1-Newbie

Sorry I forget to upload the file.

But this time it is still a 3.1 version.

AlanStevens
17-Peridot

Are you sure it can't be solved, or is it just that it can't be displayed (which is the situation in Mathcad 15)?  If the latter try replacing one of your integers by a floating point number as in my (M15) picture below (I can't test your file as I don't have Prime 3.1).  Note that I've replaced the 1 in your M matrix by 1.0.

eigvals.PNG

Alan

Yes, Alan

Take the float to 3 for instance will display the solution.

But any thought on the the fact that the determinant is not equal to zero?

Thank you

Shawn

AlanStevens
17-Peridot

Shawn Fan wrote:

Yes, Alan

Take the float to 3 for instance will display the solution.

But any thought on the the fact that the determinant is not equal to zero?

Thank you

Shawn

Just limited numerical precision - especially if you use float 3.  This not only limits the display, but, much more importantly, limits the precision of the intermediate calculations also.  Below, I've used float 50. 

eigvals2.PNG

Alan

Oh, that's right.

Now I know how the float plays. I used to think it just limit the display.

Thank you So Much!

Announcements

Top Tags