cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Overlapping text

sleamer
1-Newbie

Overlapping text

I am working with another engineer.  When I open his sheets there are problems with text overlapping one another. If it were screen size I would think that it would still print out ok, but it does not. It prints the sheets with the overlapping print.   Is there a way to fix this. 

21 REPLIES 21
MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal
(To:sleamer)

What version of Mathcad are each of you using?

Can you attach an example worksheet?  (click "use advanced editor," then "attach")

sleamer
1-Newbie
(To:MJG)

We are both using Mathcad 15. I know at the bottom - the table is blowing up - I don't know how to stop that - but there is no reason why it is doing that at the top.

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

Can you provide the same sheet printed from his computer for comparison?

I guess that the problem is about Microsoft Excel version. Which version have each one of you?

Best regards.

Alvaro.

In Mathcad 15, you can edit/select all, then format/separate regions.

Unfortunately that will almost certainly destroy a lot of formatting.

There is also the possibility ( more work) of changing the styles (text and variable) to smaller fonts.

This usually happens if the sheet was created using a different zoom factor than 100 %.

If this sheet is then open with zoom 100%, the text regions for some reason are erroneously formatted a tiny bit too narrow and so you experience a line break in the text region, resulting in the text region possibly overlapping other regions.

Its quite tedious to have to regrip every text region border an make it a liitle wider so the text again fits in just one line.

I don't know of any help other than using zoom factor 100% only when creating the sheet.

The problem with the Excel table overlapping (underlapping?) the other regions seems to be a different effect, though. Not sure but perhaps a font problem?

Werner

Yeah, Werner - I think you are right. When I change the zoom to 125 it reads much better, but it does not fix it for printing. Also the table is still blown up. I down size it by dragging but that is kind of a pain. 

Its a very old bug through many versions of Mathcad and the only "solution" is to keep zoom always at 100% when you edit/save .

Repairing an already "infected" sheet would mean to manually readjust the right border of every text region at zoom level 100%. which is a lot of tedious work for larger sheets. Not sure if the problem with the table is related to the text region problem but I guess - no.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

I think this will unfortunately never be fixed. As you say, it goes back a very long way (as far back as I can remember). Since Mathsoft never fixed it, it's probably not a trivial thing to do. PTC has moved on (or, arguably, backwards) with the interface and has no incentive to fix a GUI problem in MC15.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Since via software, there is little you can do to eliminate this MAthcad defect, ..... a way to proceed to restore everything as in the original file, is to make a print of the original worksheet on the computer where It was created. Then, reopening the file on another computer, proceed with the reorganization,following the previously made printing.

We have seen this same issue.  The windows 7 display settings has three options for display size.  [Smaller - 100% & Medium - 125%(default) & Larger - 150%]  Try putting it on the 100% option that worked for our issues.  It may have something to do with the setting the creator of the file had and you may need to match their setting.

The problem is not the display size setting in Windows but the chosen zoom factor within Windows 15.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

...within Mathcad 15...

{Microsoft's policy at the moment is to never create windows 15...}

> ...within Mathcad 15...

Yes, thanks! Thats what it should read.

> {Microsoft's policy at the moment is to never create windows 15...}

who knows? 😉

It was the windows display size causing the issue in our case.  The Mathcad zoom factor did nothing to change the issue on our end.  There may be multiple was to create similar situations and or fix it but as mentioned in our case it was definitely the windows 7 display size and changing it to 100% solved the issue.

To Mike Longstreet:

I changed the display size to 100% and got the results you noted.  However, the fonts on my screen are now uncomfortably small.  I have now returned it to 125%.

There is a partial solution in this problem.

My PC(#1) can create and open file(a) and see a normal view.  PC#2 can open the same file, see an overlapped file, change the Mathcad zoom to 125% and have a normal view.  PC#2 has a Windows display size at 100%, while my PC#1 is set at 125%.

(From Windows Control Panel, resolution is the same for both PC's, PC#1 has text size set to 125%, while PC#2 is at 100%.)

(Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution  or Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display)

However for another worksheet, PC#2 can open the file(b) and see a normal view.  But for PC(#1), the view is overlapped and the overlap problem remains no matter how the Mathcad zoom is changed.

As far as I know, Mathcad is the only program that cannot pass files seamlessly from PC to PC in regards to screen viewing and printing.

This is more work that Mathcad needs to do on zoom controls and other viewing features.

Hopefully, PTC Mathcad will resolve these issues.

MGM

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:mmills)

Michael Mills wrote:

This is more work that Mathcad needs to do on zoom controls and other viewing features.

Correct link is: Provide zoom controls for MS Excel components

Vladimir,  Thanks for the correct information.

MGM

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:mmills)

No problem.

mmills
1-Newbie

Sharon,

Read my comment and make a suggestion for a fix, under product ideas.

MGM

Hi,

I have the same problem. did you solve it? if yes please send me the solution.

Abraham

Top Tags