cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

holti
4-Participant

PDE 2D

Hello,

I would like to calculate the two dimensional flow field w(x,y) inside  x,y element of [0;L(x,y)] described by the attached PDE:PDE.PNG

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this Problem?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:holti)

Hi holti,

Try to use the Mathcad15 operator PDEsolve() which, by the way, is quite complicated . Otherwise, you should create e rutine  which uses the approximation of the given p. d. equation, by the finite differences method (after having studied the stability and the convergence of the method.).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hi holti,

Try to use the Mathcad15 operator PDEsolve() which, by the way, is quite complicated . Otherwise, you should create e rutine  which uses the approximation of the given p. d. equation, by the finite differences method (after having studied the stability and the convergence of the method.).

holti
4-Participant
(To:-MFra-)

Hi MFranc,

thank you for your answer. I am using ptc mathcad prime 5.0.0.0. There is no PDEsolve Option, as I see in the function list.

Implicit FDM is an Option but a lot of work and sometimes unstable, unfortunately. I was hoping to find a good solver for that.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

To examine solutions or attempts to solve partial differential equations, by community members, with pdesolve (), do a search as shown in the following figure:

search PDE.jpg

(Remark:you should better define the upper extremes of the double integral )

holti
4-Participant
(To:-MFra-)

Hello MFranc

I have finally accepted that I have to approach it by 2D FDM.

This is the preliminary result for 2 Dirichlet BC's and 2 Neumann BC's with a constant force:

Unbenannt.PNGUnbenannt.PNGThank you!

Hi,

https://peer.asee.org/teaching-fluid-mechanics-using-mathcad.pdf

The above link may prove helpful.

Cheers

Terry

Top Tags