cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 now available

amcgough
12-Amethyst

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 now available

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 is now availble for download - either as a CD Image or as a web installer. Active Global Support customers can download the CD image from this location:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/product.jsp?prodFamily=MCD

You can follow the attached instructions to update your license file.

If you don't have a current license and want to try out PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 free for 30 days and then with a reduced functionality set for as long as you like, you can download Express by clicking this link:

http://free-dl.ptc.com/install/pim_installmgr_mathcad.exe

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 includes new features sych as Templates, Math Formatting, Math in Text, the Global Definiiton operator, Custom Function support and many more upgrades. We're always inetrested in feedback so please do upgrade your existing installation or try the product for free and let us know what you think!

Andy McGough

Product Manager - Mathcad.

122 REPLIES 122

What PTC MathCAD Prime 4.0 needs:

- plus/minus operation displayed in a simple matrix

- more than one y-axis graphs

- instant saving of MCDX to PDF file instead of saving it as an XPS first

- Graph labels?

- Instantly format long expressions to the next line so that it does not go out of the page limits, which is a major annoyance

syaacoby
4-Participant
(To:ptc-4907217)

That's all ???

First - it should be at least... like v15 ...

And second - it should have real and perfect converter from v15.

AS I UNDERATAND IT WILL TAKE SOME YEARS ! WE ARE WAITING TO PRIME 8...

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED OF PTC.

SHEMY

Xinyu Hu wrote:

See oease http://communities.ptc.com/polls/1134

syaacoby
4-Participant
(To:ptc-4907217)

Xinyu Hu wrote:

PTC MathCAD Prime 4.0 needs to be MathCAD v15.0 !!!

shemy yaacoby wrote:

Xinyu Hu wrote:

PTC MathCAD Prime 4.0 needs to be MathCAD v15.0 !!!

OK!

But for Widows 8 and with this tools - http://communities.ptc.com/polls/1141

syaacoby
4-Participant
(To:ValeryOchkov)

YES, VALERY, I AGREE WITH YOU ...

BUT, AS I KNOW PTC - IT WILL TAKE SOME YEARS - SO, WE MAST WAIT TO PRIME 6 OR 7

FOR... WIN10.

IT'S VERY VERY SAD...

Shall Prime 2.0 liencese be effective be Prime 3.0

Andy, I have a node-locked license. I obtained the license file via e-mail and put it on the Windows 7 desktop as instructed by the Global support link that you provided. I was able to configure Mathcad Prime 3.0 Express to use the license, by pointing to the license file on the desktop as instructed. (However, the PTC Mathcad options window shows the Host ID of the primary computer, not the home computer.) The home computer is the computer on which I just installed Mathcad Prime 3.0 Express. When I now tried to activate the license that I had just configured, the wizard allowed me to specify the home computer's Host ID, but it asked for a product code in the window above the Host ID selection. I know my customer number and sales order number, but don't know the product code -- where do I obtain that?

Thank you, Andy, for having PTC's Kan Pasupathi contact me to assist with my Mathcad Prime 3.0 installation. It turned out that although I had downloaded Mathcad Prime 3.0, I had not actually installed it. I was trying to configure and activate the alpha tester's version from last March. Dumb mistake on my part!

But once my mistake was pointed out to me, I was able to uninstall the Mathcad Prime 3.0 alpha version, install the Mathcad Prime 3.0 release, configure the node-locked license, and activate the license without further assistance.

Despite some of the negative comments posted above, I think we are all committed to seeing Mathcad Prime evolve into a product that will do everything that Mathcad 15.0 can do.

For me personally, Mathcad Prime is almost, but not quite there. In order to convert and continue with my most important Mathcad 15 worksheets, I need Mathcad 15's Math styles feature.

Here is how I think it should work in Mathcad Prime: With the Math tab selected, click on a math variable in the worksheet, then click on Labels. Under Labels, Mathcad shows that my Label type is "Variable." This is where the new (to Mathcad Prime) feature is needed.

Under "Variables," I should see a list containing the default Variable style, but also a list of user-defined math styles, if any. I want to be able to select the user-defined style "Vectors." As the creator of this user-defined Vectors style, I want it to be just like the default style Variables, but I want to make the Vector style boldface, in keeping with the standard notation for vectors in calculus and analytical geometry. Anyone who has used Mathcad 15 to create a user-defined math style will understand completely what I am talking about.

To sum up, Mathcad 15's Math Styles still need to be implemented in Mathcad Prime. To me, this is very, very important. I have been able to work around this, but it takes a lot of extra work. Plus -- and most importantly -- the lack of Math styles in Mathcad Prime means that I must still publish my most important work as Mathcad 15 worksheets rather than Mathcad Prime worksheets.

Andrew,

Right now, I have less than 50% conversion success using PRIME 3.0 (v15 M010 converter) for my existing v12 thru v15 mathcad files. Over 50% of the files I have FAIL to convert (no collapsed or locked regions, no EXCEL interfaces ... just Mathcad!). These would take man-months to rebuid from scratch. At this level, PRIME is of ZERO use to me and I will be forced to stop using PTC products as this negatively impacts the future capabilites of my company. Any thoughts?

Right now, I have less than 50% conversion success using PRIME 3.0 (v15 M010 converter) for my existing v12 thru v15 mathcad files.

Sure, Prime is a highly unfinished and most incomplete product No idea why somebody thinks it could be called version 3.0.

Or, as someone else has formulated so appropriate - Prime is what you get if you replace engineering by marketing.

lol ... I'd laugh even harder if this weren't so serious. I can only hope PTC folks read these. Unfortunately. this also reminds me of when Mathsoft (pre-PTC) released verion 8 and it did not work until they released Service Pack 3.

I can only hope PTC folks read these.

Think they do - and ignore.

this also reminds me of when Mathsoft (pre-PTC) released verion 8 and it did not work until they released Service Pack 3.

Just think of Mathcad12 - the worst version ever (apart from Prime).

After ranting and sending in a Case file, I did in fact receive support. Kudos to PTC for that (thank you). The issue turned out to be simple (speaking only to file conversion) where embedded pictures are not stripped out or ignored by the PRIME converter, it simply failed. I had to manually clean files in v15 first. This is NOT identified in their migration guide (though the fact they do not have a picture tool perhaps should have been a clue). After cleaning up files, they did in fact convert (at least to 'read' them in PRIME). Note to PTC - add diagnostic information as to WHY it fails (trial and error is not acceptable). However, as most of you already know, PRIME 3.0 is still not where it should be. I was amazed that the text editor has no sub/super-scripting. I want Mathcad to provide a better text tool to provide more professional looking documents, not less. I am converting to PRIME primarily for future issues with ensuring 64-bit compatibility (and next version OS). However, they have made this more painful than it should be. We avoided 2.0 because it lacked global variables. That's available now, but PRIME needs more equivalency to v15 (preaching to the choir here). 'Finishing' the conversion will take days per file to reformat and convert incompatabilites with v15. This was borderline for moving on to other software and starting from scratch becuase of real cost (manhours). Not to mention a new learning curve cost due to a signfcantly different user interface.

syaacoby
4-Participant
(To:amcgough)

FOR ME V15.0 IS THE LAST GOOD WORKING SOFTWARE ...

WHY TO BUY UN-USEFULL PRIME ?

I HOPE SOMEBODY WILL BUY PTC TO STOP THIS JOKE ...

Because you get a free copy of Mathcad 15 🙂

syaacoby
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Werner Exinger wrote:

YOU ARE RIGHT...

IT IS THE ONLY WAY PTC CAN FORCE US TO GET PRIME ...

THE TRUE IS THAT YOU BUY V15 AND YOU GET PRIME AS A USELESS GIFT...

PS: PTC earns each day more and more customers who are angry ...

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:syaacoby)

shemy yaacoby wrote:

Werner Exinger wrote:

YOU ARE RIGHT...

IT IS THE ONLY WAY PTC CAN FORCE US TO GET PRIME ...

THE TRUE IS THAT YOU BUY V15 AND YOU GET PRIME AS A USELESS GIFT...

PS: PTC earns each day more and more customers who are angry ...

A little harsh if you ask me. I would no say Prime 3.0 is useless. On the contrary it is missing features from M15, but still has a lot to offer.

Mathcad 15 for old users.

Mathcad Prime for new users.

And no problem.

PS

Prime for olds too!

Why won't you treat new users a better, more powerful program, too?

Werner Exinger wrote:

Why won't you treat new users a better, more powerful program, too?

There is a lot of more powerfull program than Prime and Mathcad 15

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Mathcad 15 for old users.

Mathcad Prime for new users.

And no problem.

I totally agree with you Valery. Prime has been initially aimed at new users as the older users will eventually migrate once Prime is at the same level.

sbaty
4-Participant
(To:amcgough)

Since I last checked in October, I note that PTC has updated their release calendar to extend "Standard Support" for Mathcad 15 to the release of Prime 5 (had been Prime 4). There are more updates to 15 (including one as recent as December) than all three releases of Prime; it is obvious what this says...

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:sbaty)

Steven Baty wrote:

Since I last checked in October, I note that PTC has updated their release calendar to extend "Standard Support" for Mathcad 15 to the release of Prime 5 (had been Prime 4). There are more updates to 15 (including one as recent as December) than all three releases of Prime; it is obvious what this says...

Yes, Prime 4.0 will not be in a position to replace M15.

How risky and laborious ist the path from M15 to MP3? I do have programs with debugging and all of this stuff.

thanks

Nearly impossible in my opinion. I have many, many worksheets to convert and the easiest ones only convert at about 40%. And that 40%, while they function, ain't pretty by a long shot. There are just way too many things still missing. I will personally be surprised if MP15 = M15 at this point.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RickMason)

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Efried)

I don't think there is a path from M15 to MP3. Well, if it is a path, it's certainly not straight.

The path is still being built. So far it's just a gravel foundation, and it ends at a cliff.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

The path is still being built. So far it's just a gravel foundation, and it ends at a cliff.

Or a brick wall!!!!

Top Tags