cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Plotting circle

MC_BT_18
6-Contributor

Plotting circle

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to plot 2 lines and a circle in mathcad prime 4, in the form (x-x0)^2+(y-y0)^2=R^2.

I have values for x0 and y0 and R, but I can't figure out how to plot it. Solving for y gives me complex numbers.

x0 and y0 are defined values of some earlier calculations, so their value can change, so they are not "fixed" numbers.

Any simple way to do this? (Seems all the info on this I can find is pretty old, and I can't open example files and such...)

10 REPLIES 10

One way is as follows:

i:=0..360

thetai = i*deg    (i as a subscript on theta)

x:=x0+R*cos(theta)

y:=y0+R*sin(theta)

Then simply plot y vs x.

Alan

MC_BT_18
6-Contributor
(To:AlanStevens)

Ok, that works. Thanks.

- Any way to make it a function of x? That would be great, that way I could check intersection points with the lines..

You can plot versus x, but it's a double-valued function:

You may use your appraoch even though the symbolic result uses the imaginary unit (the values derived are real anyway):

B1.PNG

To get a closed curve you may define a range variable for plotting as Fred had shown.

But a better approach IMHO is to use different representations for calculations and for plotting. The parameter representation Alan suggested is best suited for plotting. I prefer a small program which returns a matrix of x and y-values of the points of any circle which can be used easily to plot different circles:

B2.PNG

You may use this in the following way. I also plotted the two lines which as it looks are nearly tangents of the circle:

B3.PNG

Worksheet in format P5 attached

I used the program that the one person wrote and it worked fine.  The challenge for me, not being the sharpest tool in the shed, was to figure out what the parameters were and then to figure out that I had to take the two columns of the resultant matrix separately to get the 2D plot to work.  I use PTC MCAD 3.0 PRIME but not professionally.

ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:ptc-5439309)

PDF shows how to plot the circles.

image.pngimage.png

ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:MC_BT_18)

3circles-2.png

3circles.png10circles.png

100circles.pngn=100

Using posted techniques.

ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:ttokoro)

Plotting of polygons by line is easy for Prime 7. However, plotting of closed polygons by color for Prime 7 needs tips.

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Use polar plot

GR_6910738_0-1638810054227.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:George_R)

If you consider R to be the square root of the radius of the circle, you're OK. Otherwise:

LucMeekes_0-1638812746458.png

Success!
Luc

Top Tags