cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Prime Improvement

PhilipLeitch
1-Newbie

Prime Improvement

I've found an improvement of Prime over Mathcad 14.

I frequently process data in Excel, which normally doesn't take long. Occasionally though (like right now), the processing can take a couple of hours, taking up hundreds of MB and 50% of CPU power. During those times Mathcad 14 is inoperable. If you attempt to open it, a message popps up indicating "Server Busy" and states:

"This action cannot be completed because the "Microsoft Excel - XXX" program is not responding. Choose "Switch To" and correct the problem.

With the buttons "Switch To...", "Retry" and "Cancel" - which is greyed out.

This screen is known to ActiveX developers - it means that an ActiveX/COM component can't start because the COM service isn't responding. This can be handled programatically, but obviously wasn't in Mathcad 14. One of the easiest ways to fix this is to ensure that COM components are only accessed as and when they are needed, rather than accessing them when the application starts.

Prime loads without this error, and can be used as-per normal. HOWEVER - my guess this is simply due to the reduced Excel tie-in.

Philip

I would guess you are correct - it is because it does NOT allow accel or ANY other componenets to be connected into Prime.

I can make lots of programs run faster by removing major functionality - would you by them if I did?

I do NOT view this as an improvement, but rather as Prime lossing IMPORTANT and MAJOR functionality

Sorry for major spelling gaffes

that was "Excel" and "Components" I meant to say.

Ted

The other error was stating that it is faster... it isn't, even though the features are removed.

Philip