cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Problem with Excel component being "busy"

sthomet
1-Newbie

Problem with Excel component being "busy"

Hello everyone

I've had the same problem as descripted here twice this week:

Unable to activate Excel component

I work with an embedded excel table which contains a function. At a certain point I get the error message "Excel is busy; can't activate Excel. Make sure that cells are not being edited in Excel and try again in a few seconds." but there is no instance of excel open. Upon restarting mathcad and/or my computer the problem remains.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Could someone please check the appended file so I can exclude an error of my sytem?

Cheers!

15 REPLIES 15
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:sthomet)

What version of office are you using?

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I am getting the same error message and using Office 2013. It seems the worksheet has become corrupted somehow.

Your Excel component seems to have an image inserted? That might be the cause. I have embedded a new Excel component into your worksheet and it works.

Mike

Thank you for checking, I'm also using Office 2013 and Mathcad Prime 3.1

There is no image in the Excel component...

I think i will try to file a Bug to ptc

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Stefan Thomet wrote:

Thank you for checking, I'm also using Office 2013 and Mathcad Prime 3.1

There is no image in the Excel component...

I think i will try to file a Bug to ptc

Maybe worth a try. Did you manually input the data shown below?

You could try and replicate the problem in a new sheet.

Mike

Yes I just opened the component and entered the data?!

I've got a backup file which is still working:

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Very strange.

Mike

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

I have the same issue by using Mathcad Prime 3.1 and Excel 2010 on Win7 32-bit.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirN)

What about if you insert a new Excel component?

Mike

Inserted properly and clickable.

bwilson-4
4-Participant

I am experiencing the same problem. I have no working excel components and the back-up sheet posted below in the thread did not function. No open instances of excel. Was a resolution found?

Using Mathcad Prime 4.0 and Office 2016.

You use Mathcad Prime 4.0 M010 service release?

RantEng
12-Amethyst

I'm sure there is a technical term for this bug but I have found three ways to end it.

1. Open the Excel document, click in cell A1 and close it. (no idea why this often works)
  2. Close and open the Mathcad document (Microsoft type  binary solution)
  3. Open Task Manager and perform an End Task on all instances of Excel and Mathcad. (Another Microsoft solution).  Then restart Mathcad and open your document.

Having same problem now when Inserting Excel Component . Using Mathcad Prime 9.0 and Excel 2016. Mathcad.PNG

I've had this problem on a number of computers.  PTC says they can't duplicate the problem.  However, uninstalling Office 365 and then reinstalling it seems to solve the problem.  I've had success with several computers.  

Bob

I had that kind of problem already in legacy Mathcad and of course also in Prime ever so often. Also  with Office 2016.
I was somehow able to recover (reinstalling Office was one way to do) but the problem still popped up later  again which was quite annoying.

My "solution" is to avoid the Excel component, use READEXCEL to import the data and manipulate it within Mathcad or Prime.

Its faster and the worksheet is smaller, but of course you have to keep track of two files instead of just one.
And you lose the nice(?) display of the Excel data within Mathcad or Prime.

Top Tags