cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Problem with hypergeom

rsulwinski
1-Newbie

Problem with hypergeom

Hi,

I have a problem with an integral. Symbolic evaluation resulted in a "hypergeom" function. The problem is Mathcad 15 does not recognize its own function "hypergeom". Is this a bug? Does anyone now how to deal with this problem? I am interested in solutions for 'z' larger than -10 in this particular example (away from the singularity).

Best regards

Rafal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Its not easy to understand what  MC is doing with these functions,

the attached does plot the result of the hypergeom function using values saved in an array.

Its not pretty, but hopefully you can get sufficient information from it

regards

Andy

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

HyperGeom is one of the symbolic only functions that MC15 supports, see the help (F1):Capture.PNG

It does say that the 'float' keyword can be used to get a numeric result for the function.

Capture.PNG

The quick sheet gives a suggestion to verify the results that you get.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your detailed reply. You are correct, the calculation of the definite integral corresponds with the hypergeom evaluation within a given interval. The problem is, I would like to be able to recover the value of the integrated function in a point, so in case of my attached worksheet, I would like to evaluate F(10), F(11) and so on and be able to plot those results.

Its not easy to understand what  MC is doing with these functions,

the attached does plot the result of the hypergeom function using values saved in an array.

Its not pretty, but hopefully you can get sufficient information from it

regards

Andy

Thank you Andy! This solution is really helpful. It is a pity though that Mathcad cannot plot this function automatically like log or sin function.

Best regards

Rafal

Top Tags