cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Range Variable and My Sanity

astevenson-2
1-Newbie

Range Variable and My Sanity

Using MathCAD 15 in Windows 7. Based on this quote from the help file regarding range variable creation:

b is optional, but when used, it represents the value of a plus the step size to be used in generating the sequence of numbers

I am puzzled by the values created by these two range statements:

Capture.JPG

I understand the values for range variable i, but I thought j values would be 1, 11, 21. It appears as if MathCAD is calculating the step size as the difference between a and b versus using b as the step size. Am I confused or is the help file incorrect?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:astevenson-2)

As Fred already pointed out: it's correct.

The wording is (mathematically) correct.

b= a+ Step. So if a= 1 and b= 10 then Step= 9 (because b- a= 10- 1= 9).

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

I can't find your quote in my version 15 help--no discussion about a or b.  But the first term in the definition is the starting value, if there's a second term it's the second value in the sequence.  You quote above  translates to "b = a + step", not "b = step" which is what 1, 11, 21 would require.  ( to get that you need

"j:= 1,11 .. 30)

Capture.JPG

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:astevenson-2)

As Fred already pointed out: it's correct.

The wording is (mathematically) correct.

b= a+ Step. So if a= 1 and b= 10 then Step= 9 (because b- a= 10- 1= 9).

Success!
Luc

Perhaps we could agree the help file is poorly worded. I read the help file as b is the step size between all values versus the next value in the sequence after a from which the step size for all subsequent values is computed. I always hated word problems in Algebra.

I read the help file as b is the step size between all values versus the next value

But the help clearly states that <b><i>b</i></b> <i>"represents the value of <b>a</b> plus the step size</i>.  ... <b>plus</b> ....

OK so I'm an idiot.

Clearly not!

Andy Stevenson wrote:

OK so I'm an idiot.

I guess no.

Maybe just a bit too quick in reading the text 😉

Maybe the wish was father of the thought. At least I often would have found it more convenient if i could provide the step value instead of the second value in the series.

WE

Top Tags