cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Reference files do not automatically update

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

Reference files do not automatically update

I am attempting to insert a file as reference inside another file. My undersatnding is that if I change a value in the reference file that value is automatically transferred to the other file. I do not fine that this occurs. The only way I get files to update is to go through the entire insert===> reference process again. Am I missing something ? I am attaching the files in question. Any help would be appreciated.

19 REPLIES 19

Mathcad references only read in the data from a saved version of the reference, at the time that reference is calculated. So if you are referencing values from file A into file B, and you change values in A, then you have to SAVE A and re-calculate the reference call in B. You can do this re-calculation by clicking the reference and press F9, or by closing and re-opening the sheet. (Doing a full-sheet recalculation doesn't re-calculate the references for some reason).

It's not like Excel where references update "live" if you have the two files open at the same time. You actually have to save the referenced file, then re-calculate the reference.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:ptc-1176891)

based on my experience, the updated data in the reference file will be accessible to the other files, only after saving it, but also after closing it. In addition, you must also close the file that uses it. Only after reopening the latter will you find the updated data, otherwise they will not be updated.

nick4
3-Visitor
(To:-MFra-)

I can't even get to that. Can you try? Attached are the 2 files I downloaded.  I can convert one (computation ...) of them to mcdx using the converter but the other one  (sizing....)cannot be converted. 

Can you give it a go?

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:nick4)

I don't use Prime 6.

nick4
3-Visitor
(To:-MFra-)

These files were uploaded in 2012. Either on prime  1 or 2 and MathCAD15

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

These files were uploaded in 2012. That's correct. They are Mathcad 14 files, not mathcad 15 and certainly not Prime 1 or 2 files.

The 'Computation...' file is OK. The 'Sizing...' file is corrupt on a couple of places.

You will not be able to convert it to Prime as is.

Success!
Luc

nick4
3-Visitor
(To:LucMeekes)

Is there anyway to recover/resolve the corrupt file in MathCAD 14. I have MathCAD 15 M040.?  I can then upload  that

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

The file is corrupt. Several parts of the xml are missing, thus ruining the structure of the file.

If you cannot load it in Mathcad 15, it's no use trying in Mathcad 14.

Luc

One solution of this problem - reference on absolute address in internet

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-190482-38879/RefUnits.png

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Joeboy)

You don't need to do another "insert", "reference", but you do need to select the reference and hit F9 (using Ctrl F9 to update the entire worksheet will actually not update the reference).

nick4
3-Visitor

Hi, I  was unable to convert your sizing ammonia tower metric file.  It shows the file as corrupt. 

Any ideas you have to resolve that. 

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

The file IS corrupt. Unless Dixie has a backup of the file, it cannot be reconstructed fully. I haven't seen Dixie on this forum for two years.

See https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/XML-files-will-not-open/m-p/551326#M180821

Success!
Luc

nick4
3-Visitor

what can be salvaged? I might be able to build on that.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

(Try to) open the file with Mathcad 15, note the error message, it indicates a position. Open the same file with an xml editor and correct the error(s) on the indicated position(s). save the file and (try to) reopen with Mathcad 15. You may have to go through several cycles.

Success!
Luc

nick4
3-Visitor

Were you able to "open" with MathCAD 15? If you were able to.You can save and send that file over.  I can then re-work that. 

I was unable to open the file

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

No, I wasn't able to open with Mathcad 15. I used this https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Can-t-see-your-sheet-but/m-p/636482 to find out the file is corrupt.

Your really only options are:

- Try to contact Dixie and find out if he (still) has a working backup file for it.

- Do the correction procedure I described above.

Success!
Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

The 'Sizing..' file as posted by Dixie Griffin is corrupt.

Here is a corrected version in the sense that it should load in mathcad.

Take care! It does not mean that the contents is complete, nor that it is correct.

Success!

Luc

nick4
3-Visitor

Thanks, Luc.

I can work with that.

What did you "change"?

Nick

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Compare the two files and you will know.

Luc

Top Tags