cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Scaling

awibroe
14-Alexandrite

Scaling

I am doing some cost analysis in the attached sheet. I want to show visually the shapes of the three curves which if I plot each separately is easy to do. However, because the scales are so different I am struggling to find a way to show the shapes of the curves visually on one plot as they appear as straight lines when plotted together. Any tips?

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You might turn them into percentages:

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

You might turn them into percentages:

awibroe
14-Alexandrite
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

‌Fred,

that hat is a really interesting approach I had not thought of what so ever. I'll be sure to use this for illustration in addition to actual values. Any thought on getting a better illustration with actual values?

a

As Prime does not support more than one ordinate axis the only other way to achieve what you are striving for seems to leave it at a couple of separate plots side by side.

Yes, actually!

Use another program  😉

awibroe
14-Alexandrite
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

‌well I'm never going back to excel

Peronally I would prefer three separate plots or Freds approach.

But for whatever it may be worth here is a scaling which forces all values (only the arrays) in the range from 0 to 1.

The scale on the y-axis is rather meaningless that way, though.

Werner Exinger написал(а):

Peronally I would prefer three separate plots or Freds approach.

Yes! It is better!

Some of my students try to search any Physical meaning in crossings of curves.

awibroe
14-Alexandrite
(To:awibroe)

‌ccheers guys, is this the sandbox in prime 4? I'm basically waiting to see something 4 can do that 3 cannot before upgrading.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Prime 4 solves a problem with the determinant of a matrix that has complex values. (Prime 4 does NOT solve a problem with the norm of a matrix.)

Prime 4 allows to copy equations and paste them elsewehere (on this forum, or in an MsWord document, or in a Prime 3 sheet).

And there are a few other things included (see here:Mathcad Prime 4.0 "What's New" guide), but nothing to warrant throwing money in it, is my opinion.

But there's a better approach:

Dont't upgrade, but simply download and install Prime 4 next to your existing Prime 1, 2, 3, or 3.1 whichever you have.

You get to play with it for 30 days in full functionality. After that it will be limited to Express mode (No symbolics, no programming, lots of functions don't work, but basic mathematics still works). And this is all for free, lifetime. You also are then capable of opening any Prime sheet that is posted in this forum.

Success!

Luc

awibroe
14-Alexandrite
(To:LucMeekes)

‌Luc,

thanks for that, great knowledge!

im not sure I fully follow the difference in problem solving but I'll be sure to look the document you posted up.

andy

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Ah, misunderstanding.

I meant to say: In Prime 4 a bug is solved that existed in previous versions of Prime, regarding the determinant of a matrix, when that matrix contains complex values. (etc.)

As far as I know, the capabilities of mathematical problem solving in Prime 4 are not (much) better (or worse) than in Prime version 3.1 or earlier.

Luc

Top Tags