cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Simplification for entering the initial values

AlfredFlaßhaar
13-Aquamarine

Simplification for entering the initial values

A friendly hello to all,

In the attached file from MC14 there are two solution blocks at the end for solving differential equations. So far I had to enter the same initial values in each solution block. Can these initial values be entered only once somewhere before for both solution blocks?

Kind regards, Alfred Flasshaar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

How about defining variables with the initial values in front of the first solve block

Werner_E_0-1676973724635.png

and using these variables as initial values

Werner_E_1-1676973781738.png

Of course you don't need to define the variables uses a vector and you may also use a global definition

Werner_E_2-1676973909682.png,
so you would be able to set the values anywhere in the sheet, not necessarily in front of the first solve block.

But I wonder what the second solve block would be good for? Its the very same as the first one and of course it would yield the very same results. So you could delete it without harm and the sheet would still work OK.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

How about defining variables with the initial values in front of the first solve block

Werner_E_0-1676973724635.png

and using these variables as initial values

Werner_E_1-1676973781738.png

Of course you don't need to define the variables uses a vector and you may also use a global definition

Werner_E_2-1676973909682.png,
so you would be able to set the values anywhere in the sheet, not necessarily in front of the first solve block.

But I wonder what the second solve block would be good for? Its the very same as the first one and of course it would yield the very same results. So you could delete it without harm and the sheet would still work OK.

Thank You 🙂 !

The first block describes the development of the distance between wolf and goat. The second block shows the course of the tracking routes.

@AlfredFlaßhaar wrote:

The first block describes the development of the distance between wolf and goat. The second block shows the course of the tracking routes.

Yes, I noticed that, but the solve blocks are identical. So there seems to be no need to repeat the solve block. You may just use the results of the first one to show the traces of the two.

Right, now I see that too. But why "simple" when it also works "cumbersomely" ;-)? I'm interested in the solution. And Mathcad is a tool for that. As I wrote before, I'm not particularly skilled when it comes to IT. I'm from the generation that still worked with paper and pen. On the other hand, I have structured the file in such a way that even non-mathematicians from the circle of acquaintances of a newsgroup can gradually become interested in it and enjoy understanding the problem.

Top Tags