cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Solving Linear System With Mixed Units?

aprice
1-Newbie

Solving Linear System With Mixed Units?

Hi,

I am attempting to solve a linear system with mixed units, but I am having great difficulties.

I have read that 0's within the matrix must have assigned units. However I still get errors.

Worksheet attached - linear system on page 2.

Working in Mathcad 15

Any ideas? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rather than dividing by units, use the function "UnitsOf()", it prevents scaling errors.

Rather than A.33/m, use A.33/UnitsOf(m). There are two benefits:

1) If A.33 happens to be feet, inches, furlongs, miles, it will get converted into the proper value for the default units system in Mathcad. (This prevents differential equation solutions from improper scaling.)

2) If A.33 happens to be not a length, but say a force, Mathcad will throw an error.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:aprice)

The zero with units applies to Prime (dynamic unit check), not to Mathcad static unit check.

Prime is inferior compared to Mathcad in most aspects but there are a very few things which have been improved in Prime and one of them is the handling of mixed dimensions in one matrix.

In Mathcad 15 you are not allowed to put values of different dimensions in one matrix.

In your matrix A you have dimensionless values (1's) and lengths which throws am error.

Best approach is to get rid of the units altogether by dividing the variables by their unit (write A.33/m, etc.) and put the units back later. Thats annoying and failure prone and it sure is a drawback.

Rather than dividing by units, use the function "UnitsOf()", it prevents scaling errors.

1) If A.33 happens to be feet, inches, furlongs, miles, it will get converted into the proper value for the default units system in Mathcad. (This prevents differential equation solutions from improper scaling.)

2) If A.33 happens to be not a length, but say a force, Mathcad will throw an error.

Fred Kohlhepp wrote:

Good points!

aprice
1-Newbie
(To:aprice)

Thank you both for the insightful answers!

Top Tags