cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Solving This Equation

ptc-4605612
1-Newbie

Solving This Equation

I am trying to formulate and equation/program in Mathcad that can determine the value of m, n, and C of the following equation:

Nu = C*(Re)^m(Pr)^n

all of the other values are given: Nu, Re, Pr

5 REPLIES 5

Kevin Price wrote:

I am trying to formulate and equation/program in Mathcad that can determine the value of m, n, and C of the following equation:

Nu = C*(Re)^m(Pr)^n

all of the other values are given: Nu, Re, Pr

Presumably you have a set of values of Nu, Re and Pr to which you want to fit the heat transfer correlation. See attached for an approach using Given .. Minerr that might be of some help. Note that since you didn't supply any real data I've constructed totally arbitrary data.

Alan

Ok Thanks sorry here is my data I have to work with:

Pr = 3.033

Re = 0.397

Nu = 0.048

Trying to find : C, m, and n

With a single data set you can find an infinite number of different solutions for C, m and n. You need more data to achieve a meaningful result.

Alan

PS What fluid are you using and what's the system? The Prandtl number seems very high and the Reynolds number and Nusselt numbers seem very small (at least, that's the case for fluids and systems I've experienced).

One joke.

Radio in a literary quiz asked to name a favorite product (in russin - a iterary work too) of Professor NN. The correct answer is - favorite product of Professor NN is... Reynolds to Prandtl.

Hi Kevin,

Old post, but listed as unaswered. Who says can't be solved. Within limits and graphically can examine the problem. Simple in MathCad.

Here tis - possible solution? Simply muck about with "np" and ranges to examine to your hearts content.

Regards

Top Tags