cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Subdividing Long Programs

lbayne
4-Participant

Subdividing Long Programs

When I am writing a program that won't fit on one page, the program continues onto the next page.  When that happens, I lose program visibility.  Portions of the program are lost in the header.  What can I do to subdivide a program so that none of the program visibility is lost in the header?  Is there a continued statement that I can add to a program without losing functionality?

2 REPLIES 2
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:lbayne)

There isn't a 'continued' statement.

Back in the days where I got my first programming lessons I was taught that good programming style involves writing routines of no more than one page. If it is larger/longer you'll quickly loose the global overview.

You can subdivide your program into smaller programs, each with an explanatory name. That will also help to keep your program understandable.

Success!
Luc

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:lbayne)

I strongly second Lucs advice to keep programs smaller in size.

But if for some reason you still end up with a Prime program running over a page break, you may insert empty lines/lines with just an empty string at the page break so that all of your program is still visible despite of the page break. Of course its advisable to do this only for documentation purposes when you have finished your project as otherwise changes in your sheet will move the program region and you will have to manually delete these empty lines and insert them at new positions.
I would call it a bug in Prime that it makes some lines at a page break unreadable and you may consider reporting this as a bug.

Top Tags