cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Symbolic Solve: "No solution was found"

Andrewk2
1-Newbie

Symbolic Solve: "No solution was found"

Having trouble with symbolic equation manipulation. Everything looks OK until I try to use the "solve" keyword to flip-flop a dependent variable with an independent variable.

Stumped. See attached (v11 & v15)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew Kelly wrote:

Thanks, Andy. Can you explain why it wasn't able to solve for "SF" and why the "SF=sf" statement was required for the solve statement to work?

Is there any info in the help documentation, tutorials, quicksheets, etc. that would have helped me figure this out on my own? Live symbolics doesn't seem to be documented very well.

In orger for the "solve" to work you needed a symbolic equation [=] not[:=] for the symbolic solver to manipulate. When you wrote "SF := " you were making a numeric engine declaration, by introducing "sf", there was an equation to be manipulated.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Is this what you need?

Regards

Andy

Thanks, Andy. Can you explain why it wasn't able to solve for "SF" and why the "SF=sf" statement was required for the solve statement to work?

Is there any info in the help documentation, tutorials, quicksheets, etc. that would have helped me figure this out on my own? Live symbolics doesn't seem to be documented very well.

Andrew Kelly wrote:

In orger for the "solve" to work you needed a symbolic equation [=] not[:=] for the symbolic solver to manipulate. When you wrote "SF := " you were making a numeric engine declaration, by introducing "sf", there was an equation to be manipulated.

Thanks Fred- This step is well documented . My problem is when including such a solve block in another solve block. Debugging is nearly impossible - Mathcad hangs and error tracking is only possible when releoading the file.

Gerfried Cebrat wrote:

Thanks Fred- This step is well documented . My problem is when including such a solve block in another solve block. Debugging is nearly impossible - Mathcad hangs and error tracking is only possible when releoading the file.

Where is this documented?

Is it possible to add the conditional equals sign and perform the solve in 2 different equations rather than in-line in a single equation? Want to understand what the "intermediate" equation looks like to try to understand the process better.

Top Tags