cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

The symbolic result returned is too large to display

DS_10024912
12-Amethyst

The symbolic result returned is too large to display

Is there anyway to display the result?  I'm using ptc mathcad prime 7.0.0.0

10 REPLIES 10

Can you attach your worksheet?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:DS_10024912)

Attach the Prime worksheet please.

Without seeing we can only guess.

In general you can assign the result of the symbolic evaluation to a variable. If the result is an array (vector or matrix) you can use the submatrix function to extract a portion of it, which might be small enough for display.

But, as said: Attach the worksheet.

Success!
Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Sometimes, adding a "simplify" you can get a readable result without that message.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:-MFra-)

@-MFra- wrote:

Sometimes, adding a "simplify" you can get a readable result without that message.

Or sometimes may "simplify,max" do the trick.

Unfortunately most of the time you'll have to live with the fact of not being able to actually see the "large" symbolic result. But sometimes it is doubtful anyway whether you really want to see the result. As the error message states, even though the result is not displayed, it still can be used numerically by assigning it a variable or function.

Turn to technical support. Chances are high they will be able to help you.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Just found this in the knowledgebase at Article - CS217344:

• Reported to R&D as SPR 4756296
  • Corrected in Mathcad Prime 7.0.0.0. For details refer to next section.
    • If result of symbolic evaluation is too large to display and we know that it is a vector (it is the case when we solve equation with several roots), or a matrix it is possible to assign result to a variable and in some cases it will be possible to display each element individually using index operator and symbolic evaluation.
    • Starting from Mathcad Prime 7.0 SymbolicResultMaximumSize is configurable. This setting controls display of large symbolic results. You can increase it too see larger results, but use caution because attempt to display large result can make application slow and irresponsive and it will still be difficult to read and understand the bulky formula.
    • Usage:
      • SymbolicResultMaximumSize setting value added to the MathcadPrime.exe.config file within userSettings/Spirit.Properties.Settings category. This config file can be found under the location C:\ProgramData\PTC\Mathcad Prime
      • <userSettings>
          <Spirit.Properties.Settings>
            <setting name="SymbolicResultMaximumSize" serializeAs="String">
              <value>600</value>
            </setting>
          </Spirit.Properties.Settings>
        </userSettings>

PTC claims it's solved now.

Success!
Luc

Cornel
19-Tanzanite
(To:LucMeekes)

So, in order to be able to View large symbolic result we need to increase that value of 600 to a greater one like 1000 or more? Or?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Cornel)

I'm afraid the value has to be increased to ridiculously large values, considering:

LucMeekes_0-1693072393637.png

results in:

LucMeekes_1-1693072450502.png

And I've increased it by a factor of 1000 and still no result from the cubic solve.

(Not in Prime 7, nor in Prime 8.)

I wonder who can show it working...Prime file attached

Success!
Luc

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:LucMeekes)

No success with Prime 9, too. I increased the value in steps up to 20 000 000 (of course quitting and restarting Prime every time as the config file possibly is only  read at start time).

I would say its a typical 'solution' made by PTC ...

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

The KB article mentions the file MathcadPrime.exe.config, but this file is not used by Prime 7. If I delete it, nothing happens when launching Prime 7. If I however delete the file MathcadPrime.exe.V7.config, then Prime suddenly realises it's lost its configuration. That file (in contrast to the ....exe.config file) does contain the section with the "SymbolicResult..." setting, with its value of 600.

If I increase that to 6000000 then.... no luck either.

In that ...exe.V7.config file exists another section with a "Spirit..." subsection. So I copied the setting over and... no luck.

Yes, typical PTC.

Success!

Luc

Incidentally, for those interested in what the solution might look like:

LucMeekes_0-1693087635095.png

Announcements

Top Tags