cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Unusual finding in the deriving of the Gamma function

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Unusual finding in the deriving of the Gamma function

Hello,

In the derivation of the Gamma function, in its integral representation, you get an unusual result shown in the figure in the green rectangle. What to do to not generate it?

The result is correct, but the fact that Mathcad, in representing the generalized integral with the limit, has changed the variable of integration, assigning any, in the example X253, surprises me somewhat.

Gamma derivative.jpg

Thanks for the attention

With best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:-MFra-)

Here's Mathcad 11 (Maple engine):

Success!

Luc

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Thanks V. O. Me too Mathcad produces the same result. But I was interested in the derivation of the integral representation.

Greetings

Hi F.M.

Well, first, mupad isn't very good doing integrals, the value for your problem can be founded here: Wolfram|Alpha: Integral‌

Mupad introduces a "bound variable" because of the manipulations inside the integral for the calculus of the derivative, probably for ensure that this bound variable don't change for some reason in the process.

You can see an old discussion about bound variables (where I call them as "mute variables") at integral of azimuthal angle for the probe current . For me, the best practice is never use the same variable name inside the integral and the integral limits, as I defend in that post, but Tom Gutman disagree about that.

F.M. wrote:

What to do to not generate it?

I don't see an easy way. Here my atemps.

fig.gif

Best regards.

Alvaro.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:AlvaroDíaz)

Hello,

to think of it, Mathcad solves the problem in its own way, and let the user will choose the variable of integration that he desires.

I remain waiting for some more comments from other users.

Thank you

Best regards

FM

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:-MFra-)

Here's Mathcad 11 (Maple engine):

Success!

Luc

Maple 2016

Top Tags