cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are working to address an issue with subscription email notifications. In the meantime, be sure to check your favorite boards for new topics.

Variable assignment

TG_8255675
5-Regular Member

Variable assignment

TG_8255675_0-1680537693524.png

In prior versions of Mathcad, I could create variables such as 'products' shown above. I could then create a variable like rate and assign a value of 100 products/min. Subsequent calculations would then allow me to change the units using the 'product' variable. Per the example above, I need the result of the last operation to be '300 products/min'. Is there a way to do this? It worked perfectly in Mcad 15 fwiw.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@TG_8255675 wrote:

In prior versions of Mathcad, I could create variables such as 'products' shown above. I could then create a variable like rate and assign a value of 100 products/min. Subsequent calculations would then allow me to change the units using the 'product' variable. Per the example above, I need the result of the last operation to be '300 products/min'. Is there a way to do this? It worked perfectly in Mcad 15 fwiw.

Thanks

In real Mathcad you had a placeholder to the right of the automatically selected units where you would type the desired units.
In Prime you simply edit the units - replace/overtype the automatically selected units. In your case you delete the "1/s" and replace them by typing "products/min".

You may also consider labelling "product" as "unit" instead of "variable" when you define it to be equal to 1.

Werner_E_0-1680539266112.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@TG_8255675 wrote:

Thanks

In real Mathcad you had a placeholder to the right of the automatically selected units where you would type the desired units.
In Prime you simply edit the units - replace/overtype the automatically selected units. In your case you delete the "1/s" and replace them by typing "products/min".

You may also consider labelling "product" as "unit" instead of "variable" when you define it to be equal to 1.

Werner_E_0-1680539266112.png

TG_8255675
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you for your reply. Per your instructions, I get 300 1/min which is correct, but my preference is to be able to get ‘products/min’ instead. This way, I don’t have to ask the non-technical consumers of my worksheets to understand they are the same thing.

Its the the same as with all units - if you don't like the standard units which Prime automatically assigns to its results (depending on  the unit system chosen) you can always manually replace those units for the ones you would like to see.

You have to do it for every single result where you want to see other units.

It also would not make sense to have an option to automatically replace every "1" by "products". Would we like to see instead of ohm something like ohm*products or ohm/products^2 ? Sure not!
So you would have to do it manually one by one. Prime does not remember that you defined rate using the self-defined unit "product". It just remembers the "1" which "product" stands for.

Top Tags