cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

WHAT'S THE STORY WITH SIMPLIFY

ppal
17-Peridot

WHAT'S THE STORY WITH SIMPLIFY

muser_0-1638752701075.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:ppal)

The reason is that Primes new symbolic engine does not assume variables to be (possibly) non-real by default.
The simplification is correct for real values.

Unfortunately adding "assume, ALL=complex" does not help at all. I think it should help so feel free to call and report it as a bug.

Werner_E_0-1638757054778.png

I also tried using the predefined function "abs" and a user-defined function using squaring and root, but to no avail:

Werner_E_0-1638758314167.png

So I can't think of a suitable workaround (other than using a different software for that kind of symbolic calcs).

BTW, the legacy engine (muPad, included up to Prime 6) was assuming complex (possibly non-real) values by default unless otherwise told. This was in some cases annoying but of course in case of your example muPad does a better job:

Werner_E_2-1638757837679.png

I just came across another example how the "new" symbolic compares to the "old" one:

Werner_E_0-1638770674037.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:ppal)

The reason is that Primes new symbolic engine does not assume variables to be (possibly) non-real by default.
The simplification is correct for real values.

Unfortunately adding "assume, ALL=complex" does not help at all. I think it should help so feel free to call and report it as a bug.

Werner_E_0-1638757054778.png

I also tried using the predefined function "abs" and a user-defined function using squaring and root, but to no avail:

Werner_E_0-1638758314167.png

So I can't think of a suitable workaround (other than using a different software for that kind of symbolic calcs).

BTW, the legacy engine (muPad, included up to Prime 6) was assuming complex (possibly non-real) values by default unless otherwise told. This was in some cases annoying but of course in case of your example muPad does a better job:

Werner_E_2-1638757837679.png

I just came across another example how the "new" symbolic compares to the "old" one:

Werner_E_0-1638770674037.png

Top Tags