cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Weird behaviour of Mathcad 15 symbolic solver

davidsnelling
1-Newbie

Weird behaviour of Mathcad 15 symbolic solver

I attach a Mathcad file with symbolic solves that seems to be in error. I have included what I see with Mathcad 15.0 (M020 [MC15_M020_20121127]) as an imagte.

Some recent problems with the symbolic solver have been of my own making - I hope it is not so in this case.

1 REPLY 1

Different looking results upon what seems like a very slight change only happen quite often, specially when dealing with sine/cosine or logarithms.

But C6 cannot simplify to 1 because it isn't.

Your first solve results in what looks like a fraction with equal nominator and denominator, but they differ for one sign - see attached picture.

Furthermore I had assigned dummy values for all variables and had C6 numerically evaluated - far away from 1.

17.10.png

In your manual simplification you obviously overlooked the minus sign in the very first summand of your "Intermediate Equ 1". So you would need a different addition theorem and lastly you would have to change "sin(Phi)*cos(Phi-omega*t)" to "cos(Phi)*sin(Phi-omega*t)" in the next equation.

Top Tags