cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Why rotatemesh is in red?

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Why rotatemesh is in red?

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to use the "rotate" function obtained from the "plottool" collection downloaded from this community some time ago. I would like to know why the "rotatemesh" function is marked in red as it is evident from the following figure, while the function "rotate" which utilizes it, doesn't give error?:

rotate.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:-MFra-)

@-MFra- wrote:

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to use the "rotate" function obtained from the "plottool" collection downloaded from this community some time ago. I would like to know why the "rotatemesh" function is marked in red as it is evident from the following figure, while the function "rotate" which utilizes it, doesn't give error?:

Because rotate operates upon the whole 3D mesh (3x(BoundxBound)) whereas rotatemesh only operates upon an individual mesh (eg, x-y or z-x (BoundxBound)).  Try vectorizing the rotatemesh expression in Frotate.

Stuart 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Hi,

Please upload your worksheet.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

@-MFra- wrote:

Hello everyone,

Because rotate operates upon the whole 3D mesh (3x(BoundxBound)) whereas rotatemesh only operates upon an individual mesh (eg, x-y or z-x (BoundxBound)).  Try vectorizing the rotatemesh expression in Frotate.

Stuart 

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:StuartBruff)

Thank you very much!

rotate+.jpg

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Nessun problema.

@StuartBruff wrote:

@-MFra- wrote:

Hello everyone,

Stuart 

Arrgggh!  Ignore the above.  That's not what's happening. 

A 3D-mesh is a 3x{mxn} nested array.  rotatemesh is designed to rotate a 3D-mesh.

Createmesh returns a nested 3D-mesh. In your instance, Createmesh returns a 1x1 array containing a 3D-mesh.   To handle nested 3D-meshes, you should use rotate, which is designed to rotate a set of 3D-meshes.   rotate will also handle a 3D-mesh and should, therefore, be used in preference to rotatemesh.

The reason vectorize works on rotatemesh(Fmesh, ...) is because the sole element of Fmesh is a 3D-mesh.   If you'd written rotatemesh(Fmesh,...) that would have worked as well.

2021 12 29 a.png

Apologies for the confusion.  I'm going to blame my responding just after I'd woken up and not having had a cup of tea. Either that or I'm just an idiot ... ☹️ 

Stuart

@StuartBruff wrote:

A 3D-mesh is a 3x{mxn} nested array.  rotatemesh is designed to rotate a 3D-mesh.

Createmesh returns a nested 3D-mesh. In your instance, Createmesh returns a 1x1 array containing a 3D-mesh.   

Note that, for some reason or other(*), this is not the case in Prime.   

CreateMesh now returns a 3D-mesh and the 3D Plot component no longer accepts a nested array of meshes.  This messed up a lot of my worksheets.

2021 12 29 b.png

M15 ...

2021 12 29 c.png

2021 12 29 d.png

MP7 ...

2021 12 29 e.png

2021 12 29 f.png

Stuart

(*)  I struggle to see a technical or philosophical reason why PTC felt the need to change Prime's behaviour in this respect.

ttokoro
20-Turquoise

image.png

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:ttokoro)

Yes, but, unfortunately, Prime's no longer capable of treating a set of related meshes as one object ... and I don't feel enamoured of the idea of typing in each and every one of the meshes to display several such objects.

I can't do the below in Prime.  I have to scale & translate outside of the plot then manually input each mesh into the 3D Plot.  Or, at least, AFAIA.

2021 12 30 a.png

Unless, ... just a minute ...

Doesn't solve all the problems, but ...

2021 12 30 b.png

where 

2021 12 30 c.png

Stuart

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

The graphics are not clear, that is: since Fmesh represents a surface, applying a rotation to Fmesh should produce the same surface but rotated. Instead rotatemesh produces two sections rotated at ninety degrees, why? it seems wrong to me.

rotate 1.jpg

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

@-MFra- wrote:

The graphics are not clear, that is: since Fmesh represents a surface, applying a rotation to Fmesh should produce the same surface but rotated. Instead rotatemesh produces two sections rotated at ninety degrees, why? it seems wrong to me.

Sorry, which graphics are you referring to?  There's no rotation in the message you're replying to, as far as I can see.

Stuart

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Top Tags