cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Write a formula which is NOT solved

JJ_10876483
2-Guest

Write a formula which is NOT solved

I want to show a formula as a step for reverence, not have MaffCad try and solve it,
Can't see how to do it, there must be a simple way to add a formula like a text box?

5 REPLIES 5
StuartBruff
23-Emerald III
(To:JJ_10876483)

If you just want to create a formula in Mathcad but not evaluate it, just type it in but don't ... well, evaluate it.

Here's an example showcasing Mathcad's ability to embed Math Regions within a Text Region:

2024 10 17 A.png

AFAIA, if you want to add a formula in a standard C-, Python-, Lisp, Casio-Calculator-like text format, then there is no easy way without you (or, better, somebody else) writing a program to convert the text to Mathcad's underlying functional style and then using the Mathcad API to write the resulting expression to a Math Region.

I have a vague memory of somebody doing this, but the request is a frequent one, harking back to the days of Mathcad Prime's predecessor.

However, it might help if you could give an example of what you mean (even if it's just a scan/photo of a handwritten note).

Stuart

You can just use 'equal to' evaluator (control + =  )which gives the bold equal sign.  It's also used in symbolics but what I use to treat mathcad like a word processor.

2024-10-17_07-41-04.png

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:JJ_10876483)

To (mis)use Mathcad or Prime as an equation editor, you may use the Boolean equal sign = instead of the assignment := or the evaluation =.

Werner_E_0-1729173636816.png

Keyboard shortcut may vary depending on the keyboard language.

EDIT: Only after posting my answer DJF's answer would get displayed for me. So my suggestion is nothing new here...

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

@Werner_E wrote:

To (mis)use Mathcad or Prime as an equation editor, you may use the Boolean equal sign = instead of the assignment := or the evaluation =.

... <picture>

Keyboard shortcut may vary depending on the keyboard language.

EDIT: Only after posting my answer DJF's answer would get displayed for me. So my suggestion is nothing new here...

And just to enhance my older answer with something even less new here ...

2024 10 17 B.png

But it does show the distinction between the two forms quite nicely.

Stuart

Also, looking at the dx in the Text 'integral' of my first answer irritated me but not sufficiently so that I felt like doing anything about it. This gave me an excuse.  Doubtless, something even more annoying will catch my eye within 2 ms of me posting this ...

Hello

You can type in the formula as usual. Then keep the cursor in that formula and select <Calculation> <Disable Region>.The formula will be dimmed and is no longer evaluated, so you don't have to worry about overwriting or redefining variables. The formula does print, but also dimmed. I'm not sure if that is acceptable to you. 

capture.png

Announcements

Top Tags