cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

add-ins to enable active controls (mcd11)

LouP
10-Marble

add-ins to enable active controls (mcd11)

Many years ago, I recall needing to install some SW (VB commondialogs or such?) in order to have real time active controls, e.g. scrollbars, function correctly in MCD11. If I documented this process, it appears to have been in write-only memory. I wasn't able to find the ancient references by searching here either. Anyone remember what needed to be installed, and the process? I seem to remember that RichardJ was a key resource at that time.

Thanks,
Lou

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:LouP)

You need the MS Forms 2.0 controls. They are installed as part of MS Office. Specifically, you need FM20.DLL, which you can get here:
FM20.DLL 

To register it, follow the instructions here:
How to register DLL 

Hopefully they will then work.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
VladimirN
24-Ruby II

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Hello Lou

It depends on the control. Some are built in to Mathcad, others need an external ActiveX control. That can be embedded in the worksheet though, so once it's written all you need is the Mathcad worksheet. Unfortunately, in some cases it is not embedded in the worksheet, and MS has deprecated some of the controls we used in old worksheets so they no longer work. I've attached a worksheet of controls that you can copy and paste. I think these should all work in MC11, including in the latest version of Windows. If not, or they are not what you need, let me know. I have an email address for you at bl70.net. Is that still active?

LouP
10-Marble
(To:RichardJ)

Richard,

I'll try out the file with controls; thanks for posting this. I recall (years ago) needing to install some VB script file that enabled some mcd functions to work. Was this just file operations? I currently have a new situation where scrollbars do not function, in an OS environment where they should - win7, 32-bit. That's what prompted me to put up my post, since I forgot what I had done in the past.

My email is still active and usable.

Thanks,

Lou

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Best guess, you are thinking of this: Collections, controls, and objects (Microsoft Forms) 

Hi Richard,

Thank you for all your answers.

LouP
10-Marble

Richard,

I tried the "extra components 3" file, and got the result attached, showing missing scrollbar script. It doesn't appear to be part of the mcd file. This is running mcd11 on a win7-32bit PC.

I checked the Microsoft "collection, controls ..." page you referenced. It lists controls and control collections, but I couldn't find the procedure on how to install these. My (faulty?) recollection is that there was a one-time installation to be done at the operating system level. after that, mcd files with scrollbar, etc. worked. what am I missing?

Please also send an email.

Lou

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

So it should do like this...:?

LucMeekes_0-1638999498848.png

Do you have (Microsoft) Office installed on your Win7 machine.

I seem to remember that installation of Office helps to create some missing parts, but I'm not sure.

Success!
Luc

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

You need the MS Forms 2.0 controls. They are installed as part of MS Office. Specifically, you need FM20.DLL, which you can get here:
FM20.DLL 

To register it, follow the instructions here:
How to register DLL 

Hopefully they will then work.

LouP
10-Marble

Richard,

This did the trick. The scrollbar and spin button work after the FM20.DLL install. However, the scrollbars setting the axis limits do not work live - neither before nor after the DLL install. In one case, I can move the scroll ar position, but the effect doesn't take effect until I click on CALCULATE NOW in the TOOLS menu. (It is set to auto calc.) In a second case, these scrollbars don't function at all. This seems to be related to the definition of worksheet variables within the script, e.g. "Worksheet.SetValue "XSTART", ScrollBar.Value/1000" If I define these variables via external assignment to the scrollbar position (as per the first scrollbar example in the worksheet), then the axis limits respond live with respect to scrollbar position. One limit to this is that all scrollbars then need to above the plot; unlike the placement of the y-axis limits in your worksheet.

I haven't tested all of the other controls in the worksheet, but I'm happy to have a solution tho the scrollbar function.

Thx,

Lou

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Yeah. They don't work as well now for me either. Perhaps some change by MS in a later version of the DLL. Now I have to move the scrollbar, then click outside the control to get an update of the graph. The standalone scrollbar (first thing in the worksheet) updates live though.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Actually, it's fixable. I modified the script. Try this. 

Interestingly, I can't save this file in xmcdz format. If I try, it crashes Mathcad with no error message.

Unfortunately, in some cases it is not embedded in the worksheet, and MS has deprecated some of the controls we used in old worksheets so they no longer work. I've attached a worksheet of controls that you can copy and paste. I think these should all work in MC11, including in the latest version of Windows.

Top Tags