cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

odd vector display [1 x 1]

relayman357
9-Granite

odd vector display [1 x 1]

I'm checking a students results and for some reason his result has vector of "[1 x 1]" instead of showing the element values of this simple 3 element vector.  I disabled the students and entered the equation myself (in red) and it shows correct results (except they are still inside square brackets for some reason.  

notes_003.png

Whats the deal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What you experience is a nested matrix/vector.

The vector in the students but also in your result is not consisting of complex numbers but rather of 1x1 matrices/vextors (which contain the numbers of interest).

Reason for may be that either I or the Z matrices are already nested - can#t be decided from the picture alone.

The reason this nested vector is displayed expanded when you retype the calculation may be due to you also changing the option to display nested matrices.

Werner_E_0-1663885293295.png

As usual you you can set this display option either for a single result or for or results in the sheet.

Common cause for your student to create this undesirable structure may be either that he/she typed square brackets (creates a matrix) where parentheses would have been appropriate or that the column selector was used to access the element of a row vector instead of matrix indices.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

What you experience is a nested matrix/vector.

The vector in the students but also in your result is not consisting of complex numbers but rather of 1x1 matrices/vextors (which contain the numbers of interest).

Reason for may be that either I or the Z matrices are already nested - can#t be decided from the picture alone.

The reason this nested vector is displayed expanded when you retype the calculation may be due to you also changing the option to display nested matrices.

Werner_E_0-1663885293295.png

As usual you you can set this display option either for a single result or for or results in the sheet.

Common cause for your student to create this undesirable structure may be either that he/she typed square brackets (creates a matrix) where parentheses would have been appropriate or that the column selector was used to access the element of a row vector instead of matrix indices.

ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:relayman357)

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Top Tags