cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

prime 6 limits to complexity of programs?

Leonardo
5-Regular Member

prime 6 limits to complexity of programs?

If you try to edit any data (for example a single numerical character) in the program sections of the attached worksheet you have to wait 2 or 3 seconds before getting a reaction. This makes very difficult to continue to add new lines of program. Is this behaviour connected to intrinsic capabilities of Prime?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

I see what you mean when I change something in your program calc and understand that, even if its only a short delay  (about 1 second or even less), thats quite annoying.

On the other hand its not good practice to write a program more then two and a half pages long. Its hard to read and difficult to maintain. I had not looked closer but I am pretty sure that it should be possible to split that program into several smaller ones or use some kind of subroutines to shorten it.
Obviously Prime has some difficulties when editing program regions which are that large.

Leonardo
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you for your answer. I have difficulties in splitting my program in smaller tasks because Prime does not provide a machanism of subroutines in the sense of high level programming languages. The problem is the process of passing input and output parameters. I believe that using the limited capabilities of the subroutines in Prime may lead to an even more complicated and difficult to be read program and to loss the very force of Mathcad: the mathematical notation calculated in real time. I fear that for this task I will be obliged to revert to Visual Basic.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Leonardo)

Your program is indeed long. And Prime is slow.

Switch off automatic calculation in Prime and see if that helps to speed up the editing of your program.

Success!
Luc

@LucMeekes wrote:

Your program is indeed long. And Prime is slow.

Switch off automatic calculation in Prime and see if that helps to speed up the editing of your program.

No, this does not help. The problem is not caused by the autocalculation (which is in effect only AFTER the editing has finished) but its the display and editing of the region itself. As you said - Prime IS slow.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hi,

PTC currently offers PRIME 6 and MATHCAD 15. The former does not compare with the latter. in fact, excluding some "defects", MATHCAD 15 can be considered a masterpiece of software.

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

I reported this in case 13960276 way back in Prime 3.1, I think.  Never been fixed and they don't seem to think it's worthy of fixing, along with their other bugs.  The explanation I got was it was actually performing calculations - despite us editing something - and even if you turn calculations off.  

Top Tags