cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

surface plot of matrix of vectors

MySchizoBuddy
1-Newbie

surface plot of matrix of vectors

Hello Everyone.

I have a matrix of vectors. i need to simplify it as matrix only.

First i want to zero all negative values

Then surface/contour plot it. It won't plot as it stands.

Thank you in advance

File attached

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

and here's another way ...

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Something like the attached?

To simplify the function I have used a few predefined functions within the program.

Mike

and here's another way ...

can you explain what you did to It. it's displayed correctly but i can't see how?

btw the way to remove negative values from a matrix in just one sweep was awesome. I didn't know you could do that.

is there a way to show non integers in the x or y axis or does it always have to be integers. one of the axis is months. so thats fine. but the other is hours,

-3.5h, -1.5h, -0.5h, 0.5h, 1.5h, 3.5h etc

Hi,

I've annotated the worksheet and reposted it. You don't have to use integers for the x and y axes. I've given a rough example in the attached worksheet. Essentially, you group 3 matrices together, one for each of the x,y &z values of each point you want to plot. Generally, for this type of work, the X matrix consists of columns of the same values and the Y matrix of rows of the same values. Bear in mind that they are co-ordinates for each point, so using your value vector as is (6.5, 5.5 .. 4.5, 5.5) will create 2 y,z values for each duplicated x value.

Thank you

btw can i bold one column or row using user styles

Ziyad Saeed wrote:

Thank you

btw can i bold one column or row using user styles

Not as far as I'm aware. I think cell formatting is a long-standing request.

Stuart

I'm cracking up ... I thought I'd seen a request for a column sum operator when I first looked at this message ... ah well, perhaps somebody will be interested and I'll stop imbibing moonshine whiskey.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:StuartBruff)

I'm cracking up ... I thought I'd seen a request for a column sum operator when I first looked at this message

Don't remember anybody requesting a column sum operator. Nevertheless good function to re-post as new forum members won't have come across it yet. I must say the program version is much more logical to follow.

I'll stop imbibing moonshine whiskey.

Bit early for that wasn't it?

Mike

Mike Armstrong wrote:

I'm cracking up ... I thought I'd seen a request for a column sum operator when I first looked at this message

Don't remember anybody requesting a column sum operator. Nevertheless good function to re-post as new forum members won't have come across it yet. I must say the program version is much more logical to follow.

It has happened. With the Real Collaboratory, I used to copy the quoted text to a word processor, type something in, get distracted, come back to it later, finish the comments, paste back into the too narrow edit box and then submit ... only to find the message had been edited or deleted (esp if it had originated from Drummondville). I'm not saying that happened here, I probably saw it somewhere else and then got confused ... the brain cell is easily overloaded.

I'll stop imbibing moonshine whiskey.

Bit early for that wasn't it?

Mike

Hereshy! It'sh never to early for that! Hic! Haec! Hoc!

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

(esp if it had originated from Drummondville)

????????

Previous member by any chance?

Mike

Mike Armstrong wrote:

(esp if it had originated from Drummondville)

????????

Previous member by any chance?

Mike

D'accord! Oui, Monsieur. Is that sufficient hint? I believe he is persona non grata,

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Pleinement compris.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Just received this e-mail notification (attached image), was this the query you where referring to? - looks like your sanity is still in tack!!!!

You no what that means --------- Your allowed more moonshine

Mike

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Just received this e-mail notification (attached image), was this the query you where referring to? - looks like your sanity is still in tack!!!!

So I can carry on horsing around then? Or are you referring to the Brufftionary definitions of tact and diplomacy - tact = nailed to the wall, diplomacy = gunboat?

Amusingly, that email is different to the one I remember!

You no what that means --------- Your allowed more moonshine

Mike

Goody! Time for the hair of the dog ... as opposed to the skin of the cat (actually that emoticon reminds me of Father Jack doing his Bob Geldof impression)

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

So I can carry on horsing around then? Or are you referring to the Brufftionary definitions of tact and diplomacy - tact = nailed to the wall, diplomacy = gunboat?

Amusingly, that email is different to the one I remember!

I'd say your ok to carry on horsing around, for now.

Goody! Time for the hair of the dog ... as opposed to the skin of the cat

Always go for the dog.

images.jpeg

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Nice example Stuart.

Good to see you back.

Mike

how do i now draw a horizontal plane that cuts through the surface plot.

Ziyad Saeed wrote:

how do i now draw a horizontal plane that cuts through the surface plot.

Plot a matrix of constant value. In the attached example, I simply copied the (X,Y,data) into the second plot position, then multiplied the data by 0 and added an arbitrary constant. Look at the last 3D plot in the worksheet.

Stuart

Top Tags