cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

symbolically solve for a variable

john_clark
4-Participant

symbolically solve for a variable

Need to algebraically solve for a variable in prime

In legacy MCAD it was symbolics,/ variable / solve where you highlight to desired variable

In prime I see Math / Symbolics / Solve

But this does not work as legacy MCAD

Is this possible in PRIME   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:john_clark)

First, make your MCAD sheet what you want. Then convert it to Prime 8 by MCD converter. Then you find the answer if it is possible in Prime.

image.pngimage.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

The static symbolic evaluation is not available in Prime any more and honestly I don't miss it. It was quite failure prone as the static result won't change automatically if you change the initial formula.

Use the live symbolic "solve" command instead and assign the results to variables or functions (and don't use copy and paste).

See if the attached file helps.

You may also consult the help pages

About Keywords

To Solve Equations Symbolically

john_clark
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks for the response.

There no directions on how to do this. One of my guys figured it out.

@john_clark wrote:
Thanks for the response.

There no directions on how to do this.

Oh no! There definitely are!

But you sure would have to be more specific about what exactly you are trying to accomplish 😉

john_clark
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

I could not find how to use ‘solve’ to algebraically solve for another variable. It’s easy and intuitive in legacy mcad. So where are the instructions?

Thanks for your reply

jmc

@john_clark wrote:
I could not find how to use ‘solve’ to algebraically solve for another variable. It’s easy and intuitive in legacy mcad. So where are the instructions?

Not sure what the problem ist. Have you looked in the help, the second link I posted?
There you see as an example this:

Werner_E_0-1674922188773.png

There is nothing more to it - type the equation, chose the symbolic solve (either from the menu or using the keyboard short ), type the variable you want to solve for and then let Primes symbolics do its job. You may copy and paste the result as you seem to be used to do, but as already written I would strongly suggest that you assign the result a variable or function and use this because copy&paste breaks the ability for the worksheet to adapt dynamically to any changes.

Or do you have any other 'special' needs?

BTW, in my opinion Prime sure is a huge step backwards, its slow, awkward to use and missing a lot of important features which we had available in old real Mathcad. Its a shame what PTC had done to Mathcad 😞
But as I already wrote, I don't see the omission of the static symbolic calculations as a loss. I also didn't actually see these static calculations as particularly intuitive and I always found them to be an annoying and also dangerous foreign body, because they don't adapt dynamically to changed values or formulas like everything else and therefore represent a source of error.

ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:john_clark)

First, make your MCAD sheet what you want. Then convert it to Prime 8 by MCD converter. Then you find the answer if it is possible in Prime.

image.pngimage.png

john_clark
4-Participant
(To:ttokoro)

There are no apparent instructions on how this is done - and or easily found. One of my guys figured it out.

Thanks for your response

jmc

We can do so in Mathcad 15

ValeryOchkov_0-1675061408536.png

Do its in Prime!

Thanks.

This problem is solved.

jmc
Top Tags