cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

two files one works, one doesn't - why?

drgriffin
1-Newbie

two files one works, one doesn't - why?

One works one gives an error - why ?
11 REPLIES 11

Alvaro.

I caught the error at the end of the file (not using a vector for output) Is that all you changed
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:drgriffin)

On 12/18/2009 9:39:23 AM, dmg wrote:
>One works one gives an error - why ?

Please keep all of the messages in one thread - things can get confusing otherwise.

The one that works does so because it is only evaluated numerically not symolically, and the final results are returned as a vector, not as a list of values (not valid by itself).

See one of my other responses for a working version of the non-working sheet.

Stuart

I see error regarding the vector of output values at the end. I do not understand the part about evaluating numerically not symbolically. The files look identical to me, please explain.

Am I staying in the same thread ?
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

If you look at the non-working program you have a right shaft at the top corner: -->. So you expression is:

bisection(xu,xl):=PROGRAM-->

The right shaft is a symbolic evaluation operator.

Richard

I saw it but could not get rid of it

Thanks, I got rid of it by cutting the rest of the file out and pasting it back. Works now. How would one get a right arrow there ?
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

On 12/18/2009 10:40:08 AM, dmg wrote:
> How would one get
>a right arrow there ?

A slip of the mouse or keyboard?

Richard

"...tank volume bisection method".
If you mean: volume of partially filled circular/elliptical/spherical "container", the formula is by C*pi, as referenced in TEMA & PERRY. The work sheet has been posted many time c/w animation of the occupied volume vs the measured level. If interested, come back by the end of next January 2010

jmG

Thanks, my equation came out of Chapra's Text, latest edition

On 12/20/2009 9:58:25 AM, dmg wrote:
>Thanks, my equation came out
>of Chapra's Text, latest
>edition

Often, it's necessary to specify to which collab you reply. The equation used by the "Process Control & Instrumentation community" is the one that sources the data to Perry & TEMA. That's all what's needed. There should still be some bisection work sheet(s) in the PTC library. You could also use Valery "Golden ratio". Unfortunately, the search tool in this collab is dead for more than one year. Also from Valery, you will find the "Goat number".

jmG

Top Tags