cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

KepServerEx HA with ThingWorx

czjakubo
5-Regular Member

KepServerEx HA with ThingWorx

Hello,

I'd like to ask you, what is the best approach to achieve "High availability" for KepServerEx using ThingWorx.

My current solution:

I created two things based on industrial Gateway template, each of them is connected to one KepServerEx. Both KepServerEx have exactly same channels and same connections to physical PLCs.

In each of these Industrial Gateway things I created subscription for DataChange event for isConnected property and when it is false I programatically change IndstrurialThing property on connected Remote things.

Do you think it is a good approach? Or is there better solution to achieve "HA" for KepServerEx?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello, 

I want to first give you kudos for learning these products sufficiently to arrive at your current configuration. I have to be the bearer of bad news, though, and state unfortunately no, what you've built is not a reliable HA solution. It's the correct concept and the best design we've found with the tools available, but it's actually the case that the interface between ThingWorx and Kepware includes no concept of high availability, and after thorough testing by field teams, the products currently lack internal functionality that would allow fast and reliable remapping of bound properties in ThingWorx between connected Kepware instances. High availability between Kepware and ThingWorx is a roadmap item for PTC but it currently does not have a timeframe for release.

For now, please review the following PTC eSupport article below for the best ways to add high availability features to ThingWorx and Kepware connections, mainly around leveraging hardware abstraction layers like virtualization technologies (VMware, etc.) or Windows Cluster or third party hardware appliances like Stratus FTServer.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS321464

Thanks, 

Sam

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hello, 

I want to first give you kudos for learning these products sufficiently to arrive at your current configuration. I have to be the bearer of bad news, though, and state unfortunately no, what you've built is not a reliable HA solution. It's the correct concept and the best design we've found with the tools available, but it's actually the case that the interface between ThingWorx and Kepware includes no concept of high availability, and after thorough testing by field teams, the products currently lack internal functionality that would allow fast and reliable remapping of bound properties in ThingWorx between connected Kepware instances. High availability between Kepware and ThingWorx is a roadmap item for PTC but it currently does not have a timeframe for release.

For now, please review the following PTC eSupport article below for the best ways to add high availability features to ThingWorx and Kepware connections, mainly around leveraging hardware abstraction layers like virtualization technologies (VMware, etc.) or Windows Cluster or third party hardware appliances like Stratus FTServer.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS321464

Thanks, 

Sam

Top Tags