cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

PTC community site and e-support are very slow

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

PTC community site and e-support are very slow

The community and KB web pages have been loading very slowly for a few days now.

Verification performed with 3 different browsers:
- Firefox (with ADB disabled)
- Chrome (as above)
- Microsoft Edge

Edge doesn't have any extension installed and, while loading pages much faster than the other two browsers, in my opinion it's still slow, with the usual wheel that keeps spinning even if the page is loaded.

Marco
14 REPLIES 14
olivierlp
Community Manager
(To:Marco_Tosin)

Hi @Marco_Tosin 

Thanks for the note. The team does not experience this problem for the moment. I tried several browsers, including Safari on an Iphone & Ipad. All seem normal. We'll keep monitoring the situation and see if others have a similar experience as yours.   

Olivier

@Marco_Tosin, Can you verify that you still have this issue? I have been experiencing this issue for years and am annoyed enough today to look into it.  I don't know of any website that is slow as PTC community and PTC Support.  

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:LawrenceS)

@LawrenceS,

I'm not having any issues at all, and we don't have a particularly fast internet connection here at work.  Are you noticing this on certain pages?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I don't see any particularly slow issues with PTC or the community. Seems a little slower when I am not logged prior to accessing but other than that it seems reasonable and comparable to most anything else I access external to my company.

@TomU ,  @StephenW,

Very interesting.  I have noticed this not only on my computer but many people I have helped log on to get the learning connector videos but often sign into this site or support site first.

I have not thought about it in regard to particular pages, but I think the log-on and search functionalities seem to be the biggest problems.  I did some quick searches now and navigation and it doesn't seem to be slow at the moment so think it is intermittent.  I will pay more attention to if specific pages/functions seem worse than others.

This happens both when I work in the office and remotely.  In the office, we have very good connection speeds,  Although they vary the download and ping is always very good, and the upload is always outstanding.  This is a typical example:

LawrenceS_0-1661272287742.png

@LawrenceS,

I just returned today from vacation, and so I am responding late, however for the time being I no longer experience the problem I reported last year.

Marco

Thanks for all the feedback.  It is very helpful knowing that this issue seems not to be persistent and systemic across many users so will do more troubleshooting on my end and if necessary I will take it up with the PTC Community admins.

j_k
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

The community website is consistently slow for me. I'd rather not even click a support site link in google because it's frustrating waiting for something that should have very little issue loading (not many graphics, no reason for each click to take up to 10 seconds for a response from the site).

JK - Creo 6.0.4.0
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:j_k)

I would take a look at your internal network and/or your internet connection.  We don't have a particularly fast connection here at work and yet the PTC KB articles load in 3 - 5 seconds and the PTC Community pages load in under 2 seconds.

j_k
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

It's on multiple networks, home, work, and when away on business. You can drop selected PTC URLs into a 3rd party site test to see that PTC.com gets lower than normal scores for such a large company... Sometimes the site completely fails. These are hard to pin-point given the nature of the internet, but I see this issue also, as do some 3rd party tests.

JK_10291394_0-1667499054097.png

JK - Creo 6.0.4.0

I really like how you found a repeatable test that is not subjective to your computer!  Although I am not sure I understand the results very well, I was able to repeat this test too on what appears to be the same website performance tester. (I tested to this forum page, although ptc.com would of course be better)

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Yesterday I found a different one (don't remember which) and it showed community.ptc.com as average "grade c" (some good, some bad) but it showed PTC.com as "grade F".

I don't really know how all that works. I don't know if the community is hosted on PTC server or on a forum provider server.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:j_k)

I'm not seeing any real delay more than any other website. I just verified by navigating to google news and it took just over a second and then to a random community post and was the same or even a bit faster in my anecdotal test.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:StephenW)

Maybe it's due to using a free account, but that testing site is only using a 9 Mbps connection to test websites.  That's a really slow connection.

TomU_0-1667564802803.png

I'm seeing similar performance numbers for many other websites.  Again, I'd take a hard look at your environment.

Google

TomU_1-1667564923970.png

PTC Community

TomU_2-1667564945953.png

Microsoft

TomU_3-1667564963814.png

MSN

TomU_4-1667565178244.png

Fox News

TomU_5-1667565192953.png

NY Times

TomU_6-1667565219820.png