cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Workspace recovery/rename tools

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Workspace recovery/rename tools

When you log in to the PTC User site, Go to Resources, Library, expand the public files area, (pick "View all Topics"), pick Scripts. The top three items are what you want.
See the attached email for how to use the file I posted. That file was written by Dan Wolf, one of the guys I work with recompiled it after making a minor change.

[cid:image001.png@01CFE207.F2D9C440]

David Haigh
13 REPLIES 13

Now imagine that the PTC User site no longer exists.

Thanks for that, but, I didn't ask where to find it at PTC User. I asked how to find it after PTC User gets shuttered. Where PTC Communities stores such things.

That was not at all clear.

Obviously PTC doesn't have such a tool. That would imply that there are problems with the cache that would require such a tool. PTC wouldn't want to admit that.

However that said, I believe the PTC User site is not going away entirely. Just the mail exploder portion of it.

David Haigh
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:davehaigh)

On the PTC Community, there is a documents category where you upload files. They have all kinds of stuff in there. It is very similar to the PTC User upload area.

To be fair, the CS that links to PTC User's cache recovery tool does have alternate methods of recovery. The other one is "send us your .wf folder and we'll fix you right up". Maybe useful for some, but problematic for others (like myself).

To All, the whole cache corruption thing just pisses me off....constant
sourced of grief for me...and the users don't understand why that cant
just work uninhibited like they should be able to....

Best regards,

Bryant H. Hudson IV
CAD/PDM Administrator
Atlas Copco Drilling Solutions, LLC

What are the symptoms and causes of Workspace corruption? In the 4 years we've been using Windchill/ProE I can't think of any instances of WS corruption here. Is it family table/revisions related?

Thanks,

Mike Foster
ATK

Intralink 9.1 M060, Creo2.0 M100

Hey Mike,

Well our models are fairly massive. Some full rigs are upwards of 8-10 GB
just to open in Creo. I wonder why there is an ability to see your
available memory for cache but it means nothing because once a users local
cache approaches ~3000KB (3GB) weird things start happening....then I
delete the .wf folder and all it back to normal again until that their
cache builds up again the next time.....

Best regards,

Bryant H. Hudson IV
CAD/PDM Administrator
Atlas Copco Drilling Solutions, LLC

Your it department may be running a virus scan while it's writing to the cache. A user could have two sessions of Creo connected to the same cache. All the planets are aligned, who knows.

It happens rarely anymore. Back in 8.x and 9.x it was more common.

David Haigh
bfrandsen
6-Contributor
(To:davehaigh)

A common symptom is an unretrievable model, even though it is listed in the Workspace and File Open dialog. The reason is that the cached file is wrongly removed by a clear cache or Event Manager cleanup operation.

/Bjarne

Maybe that's where the issues are - We have never used the Cache tool in Pro/E to clear cache.

After verifying that all wanted files in all workspaces are uploaded, our users clear cache by removing the cache folder using a batch file (doesn't delete it - just moves it to a date stamped archive location). Next time Pro/E is launched a mapkey registers the server to generate a new cache.

I don't even know what an Event Manager cleanup operation is so it's unlikely we do that either.

Mike

That's very interesting. We've been experiencing a sharp increase in workspace problems lately.

Just a quick question. Are you removing the .wf folder entirely? Or are you only deleting the .cache2008 folder (the cache) while leaving the .Settings folder?

I assume you're removing the entire .wf if you have to reset the server registry every time. I wonder if only removing the cache and keeping the .Settings would accomplish the same thing but alleviate the need to re-register on every Creo launch.

I ask because our .Settings folder contains more than just the server registry. Though, come to think of it, I could just copy out the user's specifics and copy in the default .fld file to re-register the server without needing to get them to use a mapkey.

The settings folder also contains the favorites the user may have defined.

David Haigh

We set the following two folders in the Creo startup file:

set PTC_WF_ROOT=%appdata%\PTC\ProENGINEER\Creo2\WF
set CREO_AGENT_HOME=%appdata%\PTC\ProENGINEER\Creo2\CA

When we clear cache as I described previously it's these two folders we're removing. I haven't gotten complaints about lost favorites so maybe our users don't use that functionality.

Mike

Top Tags