cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

PTC Creo student edition drawing not opening.

ptc-6704790
1-Newbie

PTC Creo student edition drawing not opening.

Working on a project, I incorrectly named my parts, so i went back and renamed them all correctly (Manage File --> Rename --> part name). The Assembly worked and opened up, but the drawing came up with errors for every part used " ____ not found in this directory". Is there anything i can do to recover my drawing in this version of Creo?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:ptc-6704790)

Hopefully you do not have a lot of drawings.

Go back and rename your parts to their "incorrect" names. Open the assembly and the drawing for the 1st "incorrect" part. Rename the 1st part to it's correct name. Save the drawing, save the assembly and save the part. You can now close the 1st drawing.

Repeat for the remaining parts that need to be renamed. You can close each drawing after it has been saved after it's model has been renamed to the new name.

The drawings lost their associativity with the model (part), because they were still looking for the incorrectly named parts.

If you get stuck, please reply back.

Thanks, Dale

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:ptc-6704790)

Hopefully you do not have a lot of drawings.

Go back and rename your parts to their "incorrect" names. Open the assembly and the drawing for the 1st "incorrect" part. Rename the 1st part to it's correct name. Save the drawing, save the assembly and save the part. You can now close the 1st drawing.

Repeat for the remaining parts that need to be renamed. You can close each drawing after it has been saved after it's model has been renamed to the new name.

The drawings lost their associativity with the model (part), because they were still looking for the incorrectly named parts.

If you get stuck, please reply back.

Thanks, Dale

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Dale is right on. The Creo file name are all dependent on the last time they were opened. If you rename them outside of Creo or without their depnedent files open (drawings, assemblies, UDF's, etc.) the dependent files will all continue to look for the "old" names.

Getting everying into Windchill will alleviate this problem.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:sm)

That is, only if you have windchill. Many small businesses do not have windchill, so it would be good to learn it both ways. There are a lot of "Pro-work arounds" out there.

Did this discussion get moved? I don't see it on the board anymore.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:Dale_Rosema)

Understood. This is the FIRST Community and everyone involved in FIRST has access to a FREE Windchill project to manage their Creo CAD files and collaborate with their team.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:sm)

The initial discussion was on the main page and just mentioned student edition and I didn't know if universities all had Windchill.

Thanks, Dale

Top Tags