cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Simulation of a compiant mechanism (flexure hinge)

MM_11812559
1-Newbie

Simulation of a compiant mechanism (flexure hinge)

Hi guys,

I wanted to simulate a part we have build, its a flexure hinge (see pic 1 and 2).

How it works: As one spread the two ligaments by the screw on the input-side, one will tilt the outputside as indicated by the orange lines. The input is in mm and the output in degree, respectively.

as You can see in pic 3 the real-world model matches the mathematical (geometric) model very well, but if I try to simulate it by applying a force to spread the ligaments the values for the slope on outputside are far away from reality. Even more, when I plot output vs input of real-world data I get a parabolic curve, as expected, but when I plot the data from simulation I get a straight line!!! Why?

Have someone a clue, whats going on here?

-I use Creo 9.0,

-For the simulation I applied several forces (100, 1000,2000...5000)N and measured the displacement (in Y direction) of the upper and lower ligament to have an equivalent for the input of the real-world-part which is in mm

-and the displacement in X direction of the tilt face to calculate the slope/angle. (see pic 4)

-The material is Al 7075

Thanks 🙏

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
Top Tags