cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Windchill-Creo Parametric 2.0-Workspace

erivas
1-Newbie

Windchill-Creo Parametric 2.0-Workspace

Dear First Windchill / Creo Parametric experienced user community,

I have added several FTC members to Windchill using the roles of "CAD Author"/"Team Members" as part of an FTC project. These users cannot access the workspace files using their logins unfortunately. I can access the files; however my role is one of project manager. Any ideas or suggestions?

-Emil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JoshH
3-Visitor
(To:erivas)

Hi Emil,

workspaces are all private. You need to "Check-In" files to the commonspace for others to access.

Users cannot see other's workspaces.

If it's another issue, let us know.

Josh

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JoshH
3-Visitor

Hi Emil,

workspaces are all private. You need to "Check-In" files to the commonspace for others to access.

Users cannot see other's workspaces.

If it's another issue, let us know.

Josh

erivas
1-Newbie
(To:JoshH)

Hi Josh,

I did exactly that after not seing alternatives. It seemed illogical as I thought workspace was a common shared repository and seemed redundant work. I am sure there is a perfectly good reason why this is not the case. Thanks for such quick feedback, as I did not look forward to telling our 10 or so students to do potentially unnecessary work.

-Emil

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Emil,

Josh's answer is correct. Windchill provides a common repository for everyone. It is often referred to as the "Common Space", but it is the folders within your Windchill Project. When individuals start to work with CAD files in Creo, they must all create their own Workspace. This creates a private location for them to do their own work and collaborate with others.

There are many functions in the Workspace to ensure your team members are collaborating with each other.

• Check Out - locks the file for a single user to change it. All other users will not be allowed to modify it.
  • Check In - unlocks the file and uploads a new iteration in the Windchill Project (Common Space) for all
  • Upload - maintains the files status and uploads a copy of it to the server workspace for that one user
  • Update - downloads models from your Windchill Project to update older, out-of-date local copies

Hopefully you've had some time to take a look at the Windchill Practical Guide for FIRST document. It is very extensive and covers many of these topics. We'll keep trying to support you along the way until there is a ROBOTALK session on Windchill and Windchill CAD Data Management.

Top Tags