cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Matchcad 15 conversion - Invalid Host

GJames
5-Regular Member

Matchcad 15 conversion - Invalid Host

Hi all,

We have license server running a floating Mathcad license and as i understand it, it is possible to install Mathcad Prime and Mathcad 15 and perform a file conversion.

We can start Matchcad 15, no problem, we can start Mathcad Prime, no problem.

Currently though, any attempt to convert ends in a license prompt : Invalid Host (see attachment).

And ideas?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GJames
5-Regular Member
(To:GJames)

Ok so the big reveal....... the issue was caused by an old file. So it turns out that the file(s) we are trying to convert are really old, created in 2001. Not sure why it produced that error but that's what it did.

We opened the file in Mathcad 15, re-saved and then was able to convert.

Once again, thanks all for everyone's input to begin with.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Please upload attachment.

Martin Hanák
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

@GJames wrote:

Hi all,

We have license server running a floating Mathcad license and as i understand it, it is possible to install Mathcad Prime and Mathcad 15 and perform a file conversion.

We can start Matchcad 15, no problem, we can start Mathcad Prime, no problem.

Currently though, any attempt to convert ends in a license prompt : Invalid Host (see attachment).

And ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Does your "currently" mean that the conversion already worked once in the past using the same setup?

Do you get the error also when you don't try to do it from within Prime but instead use the stand alone converter?

Have you checked how many free licenses the license server has available? Chances are you need two of them if you want to use the conversion from within Prime (but I am absolutely not sure about that!).

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Considering Werner's remarks:

Can you run Prime AND Mathcad 15 at the same time on the same machine?

Success!
Luc

GJames
5-Regular Member
(To:LucMeekes)

Does your "currently" mean that the conversion already worked once in the past using the same setup?

No, it was our first attempt to convert and it was a failure.

Do you get the error also when you don't try to do it from within Prime but instead use the stand alone converter?

The error is when Prime is used to convert, Wasn't even aware there was a stand alone converter.

Have you checked how many free licenses the license server has available? Chances are you need two of them if you want to use the conversion from within Prime (but I am absolutely not sure about that!).

We only have a single license, but i have been able to open both Mathcad 15 and Prime at the same time on the one pc.

Many thanks.

Hi,

today I recognized the picture reporting error message. It contains ....

Feature: MATHCAD
License path: 7788@mathcad-license

Is your MATHCAD license floating or locked ?

7788@mathcad-license ... looks for floating license on PC named mathcad-license

Martin Hanák
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

The error is when Prime is used to convert, Wasn't even aware there was a stand alone converter.

I guess the stand alone converter has no entry in this stupid Windows 10 "menu" (unless you use an alternative like OpenShell). You find it here:

c:\Program Files\PTC\Mathcad Prime 5.0.0.0\\WorkSheetConverter.exe

From your description it looks like Mathcad is happy with the floating license fetched by Prime when you start it manually but is not when it is started by Prime for conversion.

When loading both programs, did you try to load Prime first and then Mathcad?

One thing to try is to manually start both Programs and then try the conversion (with Mathcad still running).

GJames
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

@Werner_E wrote:

I guess the stand alone converter has no entry in this stupid Windows 10 "menu" (unless you use an alternative like OpenShell). You find it here:

c:\Program Files\PTC\Mathcad Prime 5.0.0.0\\WorkSheetConverter.exe

From your description it looks like Mathcad is happy with the floating license fetched by Prime when you start it manually but is not when it is started by Prime for conversion.

When loading both programs, did you try to load Prime first and then Mathcad?

One thing to try is to manually start both Programs and then try the conversion (with Mathcad still running).

The license is indeed a floating license. 

I can have both applications running at the same time (regardless of which application is opened first) but even with both applications open, when the conversion it attempted i'll get the error.

Havent tried the standalone converter yet, i'll try that this morning, but my guess is i'll get the same result.

Thanks

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Although it may be a gauntlet, I would try to get PTC support.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I suppose you meant "running a gauntlet" instead of just "a gauntlet"...

Luc

@LucMeekes wrote:

I suppose you meant "running a gauntlet" instead of just "a gauntlet"...

Luc

Correct!

In German: Spießrutenlauf

GJames
5-Regular Member

Thanks for your time everyone, I've tested it will the standalone converter and same issue. Will now approach support as suggested. Will leave this unsolved and come back with the resolution once resolved.

GJames
5-Regular Member

Ok so the big reveal....... the issue was caused by an old file. So it turns out that the file(s) we are trying to convert are really old, created in 2001. Not sure why it produced that error but that's what it did.

We opened the file in Mathcad 15, re-saved and then was able to convert.

Once again, thanks all for everyone's input to begin with.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

It's still PTC sofware...
But what a swift response of PTC support!
And so great that your problem is solved!

Now... do the sheets work in Prime the same as they worked in (real) Mathcad without modification?

Success!
Luc
GJames
5-Regular Member
(To:LucMeekes)

Yep, tested with a file that had calculations and graphs.

Top Tags