cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW API for Mathcad Prime 3.1

Granite

NEW API for Mathcad Prime 3.1

Can someone point me to the user guide to use the NEW API in Mathcad prime 3.1

The help system mentions that the user guide is available but does not give a link to it, does not give an online help to it. Also, it seems to implt that you have to pay for teh API!!!!

If so this is ridiculous. 3.1 is advertised as having an API as part of its features!!!

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks

44 REPLIES 44
Highlighted

Re: NEW API for Mathcad Prime 3.1

Steve,

The API is part of Mathcad Prime 3.1 install. Look for MathcadPrimeAutomation.tlb and MathcadPrimeAutomation.dll.

Load the TLB into the Object Browser of MS Visual Studio (or Visual Studio Express ..free) and there are the API's, their

methods, properties, enums and data types.

What's for sale is the Mathcad Prime 3.1 SDK which is a package of documentation and source code examples

including source to the Solidworks- Mathcad Prime integration.

So to be clear .. API is free, SDK is for sale. BTW SDK is $9000 USD per company.

John

Seriously? You are asking $9000 for the documentation for the API? That is what I would call a gross rip-off! In fact, I think it's the biggest rip-off I have ever heard of. You are basically asking $9k for a book!

No, not $9000 per company for documentation.

$9000 per company for the entire SDK, which is mostly source code

examples.

Once more, open the TLB in Visual Studio. There is everything. If you like, print to PDF.

Source code examples = part of the documentation.

You are providing a feature in your software. In fact, you are actively promoting that feature. But you are providing it with no documentation. If the user wants any documentation you are asking them to pay $9000. In what way is that not a rip-off?

Not sure why you keep twisting it to $9000 per company for documentation? That's not what I've said in any post.

My response above is accurate and doesn't change.

OK. Which, if any, of the following is not true:

1) You are promoting the API as a new feature in Prime.

2) When you get Prime, it does not include any documentation for the API

3) If the user wants documentation, the only thing PTC offers is the "SDK"

4) The "SDK" does not contain anything that would not retain all functionality if printed (other than losing a few hyperlinks perhaps). So no fancy code editors, object browsers, tools for GUI development, etc. Just some level of documentation of the methods, properties, etc, and some source code examples.

If the only thing in the SDK is a written description of the methods, properties, etc, of the API, and source code examples, then that is documentation. You can write something else on the box if you like. You can even tie a fancy ribbon around it. That does not change what is in the box, which is the documentation for the API. So unless I am wrong about number 4 (if I am, please say what else is included), I am not twisting anything. I am just telling it the way it is.

I disagree, you are telling it the way you see it. Many companies sell SDKs and now we do too.

#2 The API is self documenting. Using the Object Browser. Clearly not meeting your expectations for documentation, but

it is documentation. As a developer, its what I use with AutoCAD and Solidworks. I grab the TLB and open it in Object Browser.

#3 if the user wants documentation .. see #2.

#4 Can't follow. The value of the SDK is the source code, not a Word doc which was generated by opening the TLB in the Object Browser.

If browsing an API via Object Browser is a new methodology to you , you should learn it. Its very powerful. If you want hardcopy hit print.

Sure you can look at the TLB using an object browser. Calling that "self documenting" is a stretch. The Mathcad 15 developers reference doesn't contain much more than you can find with an object browser, but it does contain more.

As the for the value of the source code in the SDK, that would depend a great deal on the user. How many languages do you provide examples in? How many examples?

The fact is, you don't provide any documentation for the API with Prime. The user is either left to figure it out as best they can by browsing the TLB, or they have to pay PTC $9000. I don't even know what that $9000 gets you. By the sound of it, you don't believe there's any value in documentation beyond what you can find with an object browser, so does that mean the SDK does not contain any such documentation? It's just some source code examples?

BTW, many companies also give away an SDK for free, because they want people to use the software they purchased.

There are 10 source code examples first release : C++.NET, C#.NET, VB.NET, vbscript, javascipt and javascript in HTML. The largest is the Solidworks-Mathcad Prime, it is large and detailed. The SDK includes a User's Guide, which is based upon the Object Browser data.

Many companies sell their SDK. Some as high as 50K per user for some. $9000 per company is our first try at pricing.

For individual users perhaps we should have a separate, lower cost. Again this is our first try.