Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you kidding me???

Are you kidding me???

I just looked at what it would cost to get a seat of creo, and I found the absolutely outrageous quote for "Design Advanced Plus" package for $10,599....for only a YEAR license!  WTF???  I remember not long ago when you could flat out BUY a license for around $4k.  I can't afford almost $11k for only a year's worth of use, that's absurd.

Anyone want to sell a used copy of creo 3 or a computer that has it installed as part of "downsizing your business"?

No wonder Solidworks has been mopping up the floor with creo sales for years.  Just when their pricing was getting competitive with S/W, they went back to the old school ways when it was, what, $15k/seat?  But at least in those days, you actually BOUGHT the software, not simply rented it for a year.  What a total rip-off.

30 REPLIES 30

Re: Are you kidding me???

Do you need all the functionality that comes with that level of design package?

I am guessing that it also includes a seat of WIndchill.

I asked for a quote 5 weeks ago to change from maintenance on 10 seats to maintenance on 2 seats and 8 subscriptions. Still waiting on PTC to issue the quote and my maintenance expires the end of this month. I am thinking they do not want us to do this because it will result in a loss of revenue so they are stalling.

'Sup Ben!

This would just be for a PC at home to work on some personal designs.  I wouldn't need Windchill, but I would need the advanced surfacing because I'd be designing plastic parts.  When I looked some years ago I could pick up a package for a reasonable price, and I DO think the software is superior to S/W and have said that on many occasions here and on the S/W forums (much to their chagrin Smiley Happy ).  But just when their pricing became reasonable, they do this and scr3w their customers.

And therein lies the crux of the problem.  I understand and support Capitalism, but this seems to me to just be GREED.....

If it is truly for personal use only they have student license that you can get for free.

https://www.ptc.com/en/academic-program/products/free-software

Highlighted

Something doesn't see right with your pricing.  List price for a subscription of 'Creo Engineer II with Advanced Assembly' is only $5,360 and that probably has more capability than you will need for use at home.  (Includes Windchill.)  I think list Essentials Plus w/PDMLink is around $3,500/yr.

Actually, looks like the price is right for Design Advanced Plus.  The question is whether that is the right package or not.  Scroll to the bottom of this page for pricing:  https://novedge.com/ptc/products/14079

Good information here as well:  https://eacpds.com/new-ptc-creo-software-packages/

Hey Tom!

To get the "Advanced Surfacing & Additive Manufacturing" you need the Design Advanced Plus, and I would need to do surfacing on this project of mine.  I can't use a "student" license because the files are incompatible with anything, and I'd need to make STEP models for tooling.

Really, all I need to do is RENT a system for a month or so to complete the project.  I mean I could HIRE a company to do it for me, but I want to do the design myself, run it by some Engineers for FEA and and bring it into production.

$6K to RENT for a year (instead of BUY) is still absurd, but doable but the package (Design Advanced) probably won't do what I need.

SRSLY PTC?

If those are the prices, I may go back to management and tell them we need to keep the 10 perpetual licenses. The maintenance fee was within 10% of the price listed for the Design Advanced. These license have been rebranded so many times, they show in my license file as Flex3C or Enterprise SE. We do use Windchill.

I'd definitely look into it first and save yourselves some money.

Me, I'd be happy with a copy of creo 3 forever if I could buy it as a one-time purchase.  I mean, bells and whistles are nice, BUT, if it's gonna cost me both legs and both arms, how am I gonna operate the mouse and keyboard???  As long as a package has a certain core functionality I want, and that's been the case for some years now, I'm fine with it.  Honestly, for many years now, there really hasn't been an increase in core functionality, just changes to the interface (e.g. the dreaded/hated ribbon) and a few new features or slight enhancements to certain features, but we still don't have solid-body sweeps (something I'd pay extra for as a core feature and a TRUE enhancement) and the VSS feature hasn't changed much since, what, v15?  It's been ADDED/moved to the sweep feature, but the functionality is the same they just changed the buttons around and called it "New!".

I think that's the issue with the industry in general.  We have had basically all the modeling tools we've needed for years now, and the changes since then are mostly in the interface (to try and justify the added expense - and I usually HATE them), so they're getting desperate to get new money for minor changes.  Kind of like in the motorcycling (sportbike) world, where the latest model year has only BNG (Bold New Graphics!) changes and nothing new mechanically....  but I digress...

Looks to me someone made a typo.  That cost was the cost for purchase AAX in the past. With the new pricing structure it's billed per year and quite a bit less.  Prob about 1.5k per year.   Anyways I want my software to cost a lot ... makes me worth more Smiley Wink

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com