cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

how do I output element stresses/strains in tabular format in creo simulate 2.0?

bmcphee
1-Newbie

how do I output element stresses/strains in tabular format in creo simulate 2.0?

I need to get element stresses & strains in table format instead of a contour plot.  How do I do this?

4 REPLIES 4
gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:bmcphee)

Hello Brad,

do you mean stresses and strains for all nodes or some other mechanism to specify for which points or elements the stresses and strains ahould be output?

Thanks,

Gunter

If you request ASCII output data, ("run-settings" in the Analysis dialog box) then you can extract stresses in a table format. I have written a matlab script that extracts the max. and min. principal stresses at each node, and calculates the stress range for a series of load sets. I have attached the ptc document that describe the format of these ASCII-files below, and a link to my matlab script. Feel free to use it as you wish. It should be possible to modify it to extract the data you want.

Recall that ASCII output files can be large, make sure you have sufficient local disk space when you run your analysis. It's not a good idea to use a network drive for analysis, at least not for the temporary files. It takes more time for the solver to read / write data over the network.

There is an incosistency though, concerning beam elements. While writing this script I came across a bug in the software. It seems beams, generate a 7x6 matrix with stress results for each h-node. The support documentation suggests that this should always be a 9x6 matrix. I managed to solve this but the problem has now been given SPR-status.

I also recall that there is a technique to convert binary output files into ascii output files, after the analysis has been run. Search the support database for more info on that.

https://www.ptcusercommunity.com/docs/DOC-6935

Hello Mats,

Thanks a lot for your post. The attached PDF-document saved me a lot of time in interpreting the *.s## and *.neu files.

I have written a converter from Creo (mesh and stresses) to the old Ideas universal (UNV) format. It works fine and allows me to re-use other code, once written for UNV.

Now, I am stuck again: I am trying to write the results of some fatigue analysis back to creo. I thought to just create a new *.s## file which contains fatigue results instead of stresses and strains. BUT there is a major obstacle: The *.s## files require for each node some extra information, such as the ID of the p-element.

Do you have an idea, how I could manage to get my result data back into Creo? Do you think, I could just leave the information that I don't have (such as the p-element ID)?

Hope you have some hint for me!

BR
Martin

One method that is available is to create as many measures as you need.  Each one can give you the maximum stress within some selected geometry, for example; and they are all listed in the run status window (actually the .rpt file).

I've recently done some analysis and iteration where after each run, I simply copied and pasted the measures from the status window into Excel to build up a graph of my design iterations.

Top Tags