cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Anyone else using a Creo configurator?

amejia
4-Participant

Anyone else using a Creo configurator?

I work on a large corporation where we use a homegrown CAD configurator tool for Creo.  We have found it quite useful for System administration and even for quick deployment of updates, among other things.  However, the application is aging and I would like to know if others are using any similar tools, if you are using a third party software, or how you do it.  It would be great to share information and see how others are solving the same issues we do, different approaches are always welcome.

Best regards,

Aaron Mejia.

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:amejia)

I have Creo installed on a shared network drive. Only have to adjust my install scripts for a new version. I can replace builds at anytime and the users will get the latest the next day.

What does your configurator program do? I have seen some that copy files locally, but I prefer keeping all files on the network for simplicity from my admin point.

bmüller
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenLoosli)

Hi!

you mean something like this?

https://www.inneo.co.uk/en/product-development/inneo-in-house-products/startup-tools.html

We use Creo Engineering Tools from our reseller. But they are just updating their website... (German only and no details...)

https://www.techsoft.at/DE/techsoft-loesungen

br Bernhard

amejia
4-Participant
(To:amejia)

Thanks for your replies so far.

Some of our reasons to use a configurator are:

-  We have regional licenses, we need to ensure the proper licenses are obtained based on location

-  We have over 160 sites.  We offer them a standard, tested configuration for general purposes.  Some sites, however, require different settings / libraries  according to their projects or special needs.  I need to ensure they can switch between their local configurations and the standard one based on location and keep all of them under control.

-  Some of the modules we use are customized, like our Spark Analysis option.  When someone wants to work with it, I need to ensure the proper toolkit is initialized, variables created and settings added to the config.pro.

-  We use different settings and libraries when you work with the metric system of units or when you work with the imperial system.  I need to ensure the proper settings are applied and the right libraries are used.

-  We often have different versions / datecodes of Creo, so it's better for us to have a single UI to select which version you are working on.  The same holds true for Windchill, in which we have different servers. We also have different environments to manage.  I may have a user in Production with Creo 2 without Windchill, switching to Creo 4 with our training Windchill 11 server during the day for some training, and in the afternoon he may be assisting in validating a toolkit in our pre-production environment while connected to one of our pre-production windchill servers, just to mention some.

-  I use it to push updates of configuration or libraries to all users the next time they launch Creo for better and faster management of updates.

Plus many other use cases, but I probably have you bored reading already.  But these are just some of the reasons why we use a configurator.

We have been working with INNEO for the last years, adding our input to the design of their current release of their product in hopes of having something that may fit our needs as an effective replacement of our configurator, which we call MCAD Launcher internally.  I haven't found another option available for this kind of software so I was wondering if there are others doing something similar to us and how they do it, trying to get fresher / different ideas.

I'm using Windows *.bat files. It is classic way in Creo/Proe world. Very flexibel. You can write what you whant. It is possible to use more modern tools: vb script, java script, powershell...

Top Tags