cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Cannot open large STP file, Creo not responding.

SS_10704479
4-Participant

Cannot open large STP file, Creo not responding.

I am using Creo Parametric 6.0.3.0

I have data file type .STP, the size about 1000 MB

when I open by Creo Parametric, there are warning box show Creo is not responding.

Do you have solution for open the large file or extract file(Assembly paty) to small size (sub part) ?

Anyone who have experience about this issue, kindly guide me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I am afraid that the only solution is to ask STEP producer to provide smaller file which contains smaller data set.

You can also start Task manager  and watch processor activity and memory allocation. This will tell you whether Creo "is doing something".

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

I am afraid that the only solution is to ask STEP producer to provide smaller file which contains smaller data set.

You can also start Task manager  and watch processor activity and memory allocation. This will tell you whether Creo "is doing something".

Martin Hanák

Additional information...

It is likely, that Creo consumes big amount of memory during import. Maybe RAM memory won't be enough. Therefore I suggest to set big paging file (swap) on your harddisk, restart computer and then start "overnight import".

Martin Hanák
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:SS_10704479)

1 gig step file is big. When you get the not responding, that doesn't mean creo has crashed. If it can be opened, it will likely take a long time if it opens.

I would try to let it run overnight. It may never open. 

**edit** If you use windchill, you need to run creo in an offline mode. Windchill will slow the import process significantly.

I do agree with Martin, it is likely that you will have to request a more manageable step file.

remy
21-Topaz I
(To:SS_10704479)

Adding to what has already been shared, a step file of size 1 Gb is likely to take a long time to load.

Can you edit the stp file with notepad? You will see in the header what CAD it is from. From this you can have a look to Creo compatibility matrix and if supported, you may challenge your provider and offer to get the native file instead (better quality and hopeful lower footprint).

Additionally in order to check the STEP file integrity you may download and install STEP Analyzer. It is a free. 

llie
16-Pearl
(To:remy)

I agree with @remy with using the NIST STEP Analyzer.
https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2021/08/new-version-step-file-analyzer-and-viewer-released

We are one of the biggest PTC houses and we use the STEP Analyzer to check the files and open the ones that Creo will not.

Top Tags