cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Change a file with an configuration iteration to a file without an configuration iteration.

KR_10474642
3-Visitor

Change a file with an configuration iteration to a file without an configuration iteration.

Hello,

I reinstalled Creo 6 recently. I didn't pay attention to my configuration options and the "save_file_iterations" configuration was set to yes. I modified my configuration options to no longer have the iteration for my next files and I understood that if my existing files have the iteration extension they will continue to have the iteration extension at each save.

Hence my question: Is there a way of removing this iteration extension so that I can have "classic" files again?

(I don't use Windchill).

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:KR_10474642)

If I understand your question you have CADpart.prt.3 and you want to remove the .3 so the extension is just .prt. With Creo closed you can use windows explorer to browse to the files in questions and perform a rename to remove the .3

If you have a lot of files I am sure you could ask ChatGPT to write you a rename script that would do this for you.

For instance here is a powershell version:

Get-ChildItem -Filter *.*.* | ForEach-Object {
    $newName = $_.Name -replace '\.\d+$'
    Rename-Item $_.FullName -NewName $newName
}

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@KR_10474642 wrote:

Hello,

I reinstalled Creo 6 recently. I didn't pay attention to my configuration options and the "save_file_iterations" configuration was set to yes. I modified my configuration options to no longer have the iteration for my next files and I understood that if my existing files have the iteration extension they will continue to have the iteration extension at each save.

Hence my question: Is there a way of removing this iteration extension so that I can have "classic" files again?

(I don't use Windchill).

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

please test Creo behaviour by yourself.

Martin Hanák
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:KR_10474642)

If I understand your question you have CADpart.prt.3 and you want to remove the .3 so the extension is just .prt. With Creo closed you can use windows explorer to browse to the files in questions and perform a rename to remove the .3

If you have a lot of files I am sure you could ask ChatGPT to write you a rename script that would do this for you.

For instance here is a powershell version:

Get-ChildItem -Filter *.*.* | ForEach-Object {
    $newName = $_.Name -replace '\.\d+$'
    Rename-Item $_.FullName -NewName $newName
}

Thank you! I will try this method, it will be much faster to modify all my files with iteration. Otherwise I just found my main mistake which was to use 2 different config on Creo ... 😔

Top Tags