cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Command Line Program in a mapkey

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Command Line Program in a mapkey

Does anyone know how, in a command prompt, to remove the last character in each line of a .txt file?

I need to open a family table instance, do one operation, close that instance then open the next instance and do the same thing.  And so on.

I am combining a mapkey with a batch file and I am close.  But I have to remove the last character in each line and I can't figure out how.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JLG
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:STEVEG)

I saved each page out as an .mht file; hopefully you can read them.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Steve,

you can do following (for example):

1.] install sed (stream editor) ... available at sed for Windows

2.] use command prompt command ... sed "s/.$//" a.txt > b.txt

a.txt ... source file

b.txt ... removed last character in each line

MH

Martin Hanák
Chris3
20-Turquoise

You don't have to install external sfotware. You might be able to do this with a batch, but vbs has a little more utility. In your config.pro, just change the .bat to .vbs and use the code below (with modifications as required)

Set objFS = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

strFile = "c:\test\file.txt"

strTemp = "c:\test\temp.txt"

Set objFile = objFS.OpenTextFile(strFile)

Set objOutFile = objFS.CreateTextFile(strTemp,True)   

Do Until objFile.AtEndOfStream

strLine = objFile.ReadLine

' Remove last character from strLine

'This removes the carriage return and the last character and then adds the carriage return back

strFile = Left(strFile, Len(strLine) - 2) & vbCrLf

objOutFile.Write(strLine)

Loop

objOutFile.Close

objFile.Close

objFS.DeleteFile(strFile)

objFS.MoveFile strTemp,strFile

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Martin,

should have mentioned I can't install external software not approved by out IT dept.  But thank you for it.

Chris,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I might try that but I'd prefer straight command line commands.

JLG
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:JLG)

Unfortunately I do not have access to some sites from work.  Stack Overflow is one of them.

JLG
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

I saved each page out as an .mht file; hopefully you can read them.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:JLG)

That's awesome.  Thank you for uploading the pages.

Unforturnately, it doesn't look like it will work.  The for command doesn't like the tilde character.  I can do it outside the for command but that won't help.  And using what they suggested doesn't output the line.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

I DID IT!

I tried many different variations of what was on those pages.  But I never tried the example where they used the CALL command.  This is what worked.  Or at least seems to have worked.  I'l know once I get the mapkey and batch file all set.

Thank you so much.

SETLOCAL
for /f "delims=" %%a in (abc.pro) do (
set str=%%a
CALL :remove "%str%"
)
goto EOF

:remove
set str=%str:~0,-3%
echo %str% >> def.pro

:EOF

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

And just a little more information.

I also got a space at the end with this code.  It's easy to remove that actually.  I did some searching and found the answer.

Remove the spaces between the ">>" in the line echo %str% >> def.pro.  That space adds the space at the end of the line in def.pro.

So now it's:

echo %str%>>def.pro

Top Tags