cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Controlling Skeleton with Simplified Representation

Ramesh
1-Newbie

Controlling Skeleton with Simplified Representation

Hi,

I created a top Level Machine assy which has more number of Optional sub assemblies, so I can create "N" number of different machine configurations with combination of these optional sub assemblies. I created skeleton also for controlling optional subassemblies placement based on the machine configuration.

Now i am creating simplified representations based on machine configurations, just to show that combination's optional sub assemblies alone.

I want to change the skeleton input values based on the current simplified representation to correct the sub assemblies placements. so i don't have to key in the skeleton input values whenever i switch to different simplified rep

Please any one can explain me, How can i control the skeleton input values with Simplified rep.?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9
gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:Ramesh)

Hello Ramesh,

if the component placement changes based on the subset of components, then this looks more like a task for family tables than represenations. Representations are allowing to switch components on/off. However, if you want to change their placement, you need to modify dimensions/features (of skeleton, assembly, etc...) and hence it is better to use family tables or Pro/PROGRAM functionality.

Gunter

Ramesh
1-Newbie
(To:gkoch)

Hi Gunter,

Could you please explain me how to use Pro/Program for scenario like mine...

Ramesh

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Until Gunter can get back, have a read through of the documentation about Pro/Program.

It is like a text version of the Model Tree with some assignment.

There are no loops. There are conditional statements, which is what makes it more capable than Family tables.

You can start here: http://help.ptc.com/creo_hc/creo30_pma_hc/usascii/index.html#page/pma/fundamentals/About_Pro_PROGRAM.html

gkoch
1-Newbie

Not much left to add from my side. As David said, it is in fact a kind of text version of the model tree (or better the model info) and you can insert conditional statements to skip (suppress) features based on parameters and relations in the model.

Speaking of relations, the usual model relations show in their own section within the Program.

Finally you can use the INPUT section of Program to prompt the user to enter variables for parameters (normally to drive the design as described above).

Whenever a model with INPUT is regenerated, it prompts the user.

However, when using such models in an assembly, you can force their regeneration and feed in the input programmatically from assembly level by using an EXECUTE statement inside the Program.

That's the short summary about what Program does. Details are in the PTC/Help.

How you want to use it for your models instead of family tables, is something you need to test with your own use cases - difficult to make any recommendations:

• For Program you always have to enter the appropriate values to get the desired design, which is more flexible as you just change the input parameters.
  • For a family table all settings are predefined for each instance, but if you want a different design, you have to either modify an instance or create a new one.
Ramesh
1-Newbie

Hi Gaunter & David,

My Skeleton Parametric values are controlled with Pro/Program relations only. So any can give INPUT to create desired configurations, the skeleton transforms according to that.

But i don't know how to bring the Simplified representation name in Pro/Program to create relation. I tried couple of options but Pro/Program gives error out.

gkoch
1-Newbie

Hi Ramesh,

you cannot set Simplified Rep by family table or by Pro/Program.

Simplified Rep is intended as means to show only the relevant geometry for easier handling (less cluttered view and better performance). It is only a visual alternative, not a design alternative.

Family Tables and Pro/PROGRAM are concepts for creating variant design, which obviously is your intent.

Simplified Reps can be applied to any family instance or Pro/PROGRAM state by the user to make life easier while designing. It can also be used to show simplified views of a model in a drawing.

However, they are no "real" design and hence there are no means to apply simp reps "by design", i.e. call them by family table or Pro/PROGRAM. In other words: They exist in parallel to model design.

The ultimate tool for generating design variants with optional modules, is the rather new functionality Options Modeler. There are a couple of demos on the Learning Exchange here: http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorials/by_sub_product/ptc-creo-options-modeler/sub_product_id:26

Robert2
1-Newbie

is it possible to input values from a file, such as parameters?

also please look in this thread: http://communities.ptc.com/message/257628

gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:Robert2)

Yes, when you use Pro/PROGRAM to drive your design, you can specify parameters at the INPUT section and upon regeneration you have the options:

• regenerate again with current values
  • enter manually new values for the parameters
  • use an input file (basically a text file, syntax should be documented in PTC/Help) to drive the parameter values
BillRyan
15-Moonstone

Is it possible to make your skeleton a family table? If so and your variants are not unmanageable then the following strategy might work. (Note: this requires gathering assemblies(sub-assemblies) containing the systems as you will be overloading the top level assembly)

1) Top level assembly which will contain the simplified reps

2) Assemble all variants of skeleton instances into top assembly.

3) Assemble the applicable gathering assembly to the appropriate skeletons.

Notes:

1. Since this model will have multiple skeletons and subassemblies, I recommend adding notes to the feature name column to define the conditions of use. This will make managing the reps easier.
  2. Do not use the simplfied rep to "substitute" the skeleton instance. (Use master rep of each skeleton in the model tree. The following areas have issues with this method: Creo model tree, Windchill structure tab, Windchill publisher, Creo View files, and I'm sure any visualization tool.) The reliable method is to include all the instances individually in the model tree!

4) Create simplfied reps as needed.

You don't have to have much programming knowledge to use this approach and it is reliable. In our case, we try to only do this if the variants are under 20. We had 60 skeletons in an assemlby and performance starting being an issue.

Top Tags