cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Creo Replace by Layout pick is gone

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Creo Replace by Layout pick is gone

I added obsolete_pre_wf3_layout_replace yes to my config.pro. Creo 2.0-m030 doesn't complain about it being invalid.

Yet when I look at the replace dialog box, Notebook is where Layout used to be. But it doesn't behave the same. After searching for the new component, picking ok, and then clicking the middle mouse button to place, the part is placed unconstrained. If you look at the placement references it has none. Not even the assembly references that the part it replaced had.

[cid:image001.png@01CDD7A7.D904C090]

There are all these new config options for replace. Do any of these interfere or can they be made to change the behavior to what we used to have with the hidden config option? Anyone figured this out yet? I opened up a call with PTC.

Replace_history_rule_order
Replace_interface_rule_order
Replace_sameid_rule_order
Repace_samename_rule_order
Replace_sameparam_rule_order
Replace_unrelated_automatic

I sent PTC the attached zip file with these instructions.
Attached are an assembly, base part and two screws. The screws are copies of each other. Not family tabled.
Add the hidden config option to WF4 and open up the assembly select the part "replace-screw-1.prt" and RMB pick Replace. Select the radio button Layout, search for a file and pick "replace-screw-2.prt". Pick OK, and then click the middle mouse button to place. The part is fully constrained. That's the behavior I want. The reason this works is because all the feature id's of the two parts is the same. I use this all the time for more complex parts. If all the constraints are not valid, I only have to revise the ones that are missing, and only by picking the references on the part I'm placing. I don't have to re-pick assembly references.

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:davehaigh)

On 12/11/12 16:48, Haigh, David A. wrote:
> Note: Due to the attachment size(s), links to download the attachment(s) for this email have been provided at the bottom.
>
> I added obsolete_pre_wf3_layout_replace yes to my config.pro. Creo 2.0-m030 doesn't complain about it being invalid.
>
> Yet when I look at the replace dialog box, Notebook is where Layout used to be. But it doesn't behave the same. After searching for the new component, picking ok, and then clicking the middle mouse button to place, the part is placed unconstrained. If you look at the placement references it has
> none. Not even the assembly references that the part it replaced had.
>
> cid:image001.png@01CDD7A7.D904C090
>
> There are all these new config options for replace. Do any of these interfere or can they be made to change the behavior to what we used to have with the hidden config option? Anyone figured this out yet?
>

Select "Unrelated Component", then "Edit Ref Table". Once there you can "automate" the assigning of references by same id, same name, etc.
This is same behavior as Wildfire 5.0. The "legacy" replace by layout functionality was partially broken in WF4 and fully broken in WF5 however in WF5 the "Unrelated Component" and "Edit reference table" more than makes up for it.

Once you get the hang of it the new functionality works very good.

> I opened up a call with PTC.
>
> Replace_history_rule_order
>
> Replace_interface_rule_order
>
> Replace_sameid_rule_order
>
> Repace_samename_rule_order
>
> Replace_sameparam_rule_order
>
> Replace_unrelated_automatic
>
> I sent PTC the attached zip file with these instructions.
>
> Attached are an assembly, base part and two screws. The screws are copies of each other. Not family tabled.
>
> Add the hidden config option to WF4 and open up the assembly select the part "replace-screw-1.prt" and RMB pick Replace. Select the radio button Layout, search for a file and pick "replace-screw-2.prt". Pick OK, and then click the middle mouse button to place. The part is fully constrained. That's
> the behavior I want. The reason this works is because all the feature id's of the two parts is the same. I use this all the time for more complex parts. If all the constraints are not valid, I only have to revise the ones that are missing, and only by picking the references on the part I'm
> placing. I don't have to re-pick assembly references.
>
> David Haigh
> Phone: 925-424-3931
> Fax: 925-423-7496
> Lawrence Livermore National Lab
> 7000 East Ave, L-362
> Livermore, CA 94550
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Attachment Links: image001.png (39 k) <">http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/fo/do/download=1&fid=18022> replace-wf4-models.zip.zip (5879 k) <">http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/fo/do/download=1&fid=18023>
> Site Links: View post online <">http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/fo/st/post=113907&anc=p113907#p113907> View mailing list online <">http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/fo/si/topic=3> Send new post via email <">mailtoSmiley Tongue-> Unsubscribe from this mailing list
> <">mailtoSmiley Tongue-?Subject=Unsubscribe> Manage your subscription
Top Tags