cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Creo shuts down

bcarmichael
1-Newbie

Creo shuts down

Hey everyone, I'm using creo to make a simple sheet metal piece and it keeps shutting down constantly. In half an hour its' had to shut down half a dozen times. It seems to go through phases where I'll be able to work on complex pieces for a few hours with no issue, and then for the rest of the day I can barely work on a single component without it shutting down. The computer is brand new and meets all the creo requirements. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this and if there's anything people had have do minimize this occurrence.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
14 REPLIES 14

Brad,

sometimes unexpected crashes are related to graphic card driver. To test this idea, please add the following option at the end of config.pro file (temporarily).

graphics win32_gdi

If the problem disappears, then remove the above mentioned option and install current graphic card driver.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Hey Martin,

The problem persists with the same frequency. any other suggestions?

Hi Brad,

I would suggest you test on a different machine, to see if the exit is reproducible.  That way, you can see if the issue is machine specific.

I would also suggest that you take a look at the Platform Support page to see if your machine configuration is certified or supported.  Click on the By Product drop down and select your product, e.g. PTC Creo 2.0.

Thanks,

Amit

Brad,

according to me experience Platform Support page is not updated very frequently. Therefore it can be used as "orientational", mainly.

MH

Martin Hanák

ah, the whole office has the same issue and our computers just meet the recommended performance requirements.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:bcarmichael)

Please post you computer specs.

Is it an out-of-memory crash or a graphics event crash?

Memory requirements listed by PTC have always been low and just barely able to run their software, let alone create a part.

Anything less than 4GB is almost guaranteed to crash, 8GB should be ok for most part files. Complex assemblies may need 12-16GB or more. Complex is compounded by the fact it comes from 2 directions. One is the number of components and the other is the complexity of the models. Parts with a lot of 'shaped' surfaces require more memory than prismatic shaped parts.

Ben, we're all running 8gb and the problem is most noticeable on assemblies and some of the more complex parts, but other times it just crashes for no reason but that's not very often.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

What version and build code are you running?

using creo 3.103

StephenW
23-Emerald II

So, I would start by troubleshooting my customization. I would remove all config.pro, creo_parametric_customization.ui, my colors files, appearance.dmt, anything else that might have been customized. Restart Creo and see if you can re-create the system crashes.

Also, double check your graphics driver, you may still want to update to the latest drivers, graphics issues can cause many "odd" issues that don't seem to be directly related to graphics items.

If you are on current maintenance, I would definitely open a support ticket especially if you can reproduce the crash consistently.

You might also update to the lastest Creo 3 build code, that would be M050. I specifically remember with Creo 2 build codes that were much more prone to fatal error and unexpected exits.

cprice
6-Contributor
(To:StephenW)

If you are running 64 bit machines, make sure you are NOT using fonts coped over from a 32 bit system. This may be a long shot, but

I have experienced this in the past when moving from 32 bit to 64 bit machines and just copying over all the configs and settings.

Using 32 bit fonts (it was even the default ascii.fnt) caused instant crashes once the system was started and the users tried to do anything.

Take a look at this video Video Link : 6337

Marco

That means when we want to use PTC Creo , we have to buy a new computer which is compatible with the software

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:caswq)

Not always, just need a powerful enough computer with the right graphics card that supports Creo.

You don't use a VW Beetle to pull a 40' boat and trailer, don't use a low end computer to run Creo.

You need the DuraMax diesel pickup with the biggest engine and backup camera for pulling a large trailer.

For Creo, you need a relatively fast processor speed, 4 cores (even though Creo is single-threaded), at least 8GB of memory, preferably 16GB, a mid to high range Nvidia graphics card, and some nice storage space and/or a SSD, running on Windows7-64bit.

While the low-end computer may meet the minimum specs listed on PTC's website, your performance will be unsatisfactory. Since this is your job, get the tools to do it right.

Top Tags