cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Does Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express 6.0 support assembly constraints?

jmenoche
1-Newbie

Does Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express 6.0 support assembly constraints?

I have just installed Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express 6.0 and have gone through the tutorials to understand how to model in this environment.

The difficulty I am having is, I would like to assemble two parts, having the constraint remain constant, e.g. a pinned hinge that can rotate about the pins axis.

Watching the movement of the lid on the printer in the QuickStart tutorial called 'Repurpose a model to create a new product', it seems this is possible. However, I've been looking and can't locate proper contraints in the program. Additionally, when I watch the lid motion from the side, it appears the motion is not pure rotation, but an interpolated combination of translation and rotation from one position to another. It is basically faking a constraint using the configuration animation capabilities.

So, the question is, are there proper constraints somewhere in this free 'Express; version? If not, are they available in the paid version? Also, if not, shouldn't there be a clear mention of this in the documentation, help, etc?

I hope I'm just missing something.

Thank you - JM

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello John,

Dynamic Relations, a feature of the Advanced Assembly license is just available with the paid version, not with Modeling Express. I'm afraid you cannot within Modeling Express, set relations between parts and assemblies to design motions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:jmenoche)

I run the "paid" version; I don't know what capabilities are available in the "Express" version. In the "paid" version, it is possible to add constraints to parts; to do that, you must activate the "Adv Assembly" module and use the commands in the "Relations" tab.

I don't know how that model in the QuickStart tutorial was built, but I doubt that any constraints were used. You are likely correct that the motion is not a pure rotation. When activating a configuration (which is what is done in the video), Creo Elements/Direct Modeling will move/rotate parts using an interpolated path-the shortest path to get the parts from their current position to the new position.

I have designed lots of parts that need to move like in that video and have almost never needed to add constraints. Configurations (like in the video) are a great way to get parts into new positions easily-you just can't trust the animation. In the cases where I do care about having an exact animation, then I use the "Relations" or "Animations" capability, or, more often, just use the dynamic positioning commands.

Hello John,

Dynamic Relations, a feature of the Advanced Assembly license is just available with the paid version, not with Modeling Express. I'm afraid you cannot within Modeling Express, set relations between parts and assemblies to design motions.

Top Tags