cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Family table instances become standalone parts when saved during assembly use

SeanSull
1-Newbie

Family table instances become standalone parts when saved during assembly use

When using family table instances within an assembly, the assembly requires that the instance be checked out in order to perform a save. The instance is somehow being modified, perhaps by dependencies, or otherwise. Once the instance is checked out, and the assembly is saved, the instance is no longer a part of the family table, and becomes a stand alone part. This is causing major issues with family table versions if the instance then gets checked in.

I have created a video to demonstrate what is happening as an example: http://communities.ptc.com/videos/2206

The S741.prt instance disconnects itself from the family table when the assembly using the instance is saved. During the example I've only done an edit definition, without changing anything, in order to save the assembly. I cannot figure out why the behavior to modify any of the parts used in the assembly is happening, as nothing has changed.

Both S740.prt and S741.prt are a part of the family table generic VOS_BODY.prt. I am able to checkout the VOS_BODY.prt and instances and make changes without the instance becoming Standalone. The instance remains intact to the family table. However, when checking out the instance required for the assembly operation, this is when the instance becomes Standalone

Has anybody else run across this at all? We are using Wildfire 4.0 M200 and Windchill 9.0 M050.

Thanks!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

For anyone who is interested, I have resolved this issue by digging into our configuration files. It is only a band-aid fix, as the behavior or unlinking family table instances could prove to be fatal to family table files.

Our config.sup file had the following detail included:

save_instance_accelerator ALWAYS

By dialing down into this and removing it from the config.sup, the family table problem went away. However, I believe this to be a software bug, and have submitted it to PTC as such.

So heads up for anyone that might be wanting to use instance accelerators!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

For anyone who is interested, I have resolved this issue by digging into our configuration files. It is only a band-aid fix, as the behavior or unlinking family table instances could prove to be fatal to family table files.

Our config.sup file had the following detail included:

save_instance_accelerator ALWAYS

By dialing down into this and removing it from the config.sup, the family table problem went away. However, I believe this to be a software bug, and have submitted it to PTC as such.

So heads up for anyone that might be wanting to use instance accelerators!!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:SeanSull)

Interesting. We don't use it, but that's good to know. Thanks! Hope they fix it!

Top Tags