cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

How to change default config file location in creo

hvyas
1-Newbie

How to change default config file location in creo

Dear all,

How to change the default creo config file location to our local drive custom config created by us.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are actually 3 locations that config files are read from, in this order. See CS28227.

1. The text folder in the loadpoint
  2. The user's home directory.  By default this is the operating system environment variable %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% for the user.  You can set %HOME% explicitly if you want to use something different.
  3. The startup directory. This can be set in the properties dialog of the icon used to launch Creo.  The "Start In" field is your startup directory.

If you are using a config.sup, it must go in location #1.  If multiple config.pro files are loaded, they are cumulative.  Where multiple config.pro files contain the same option, the value in the last file read wins.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
smahajan
1-Newbie
(To:hvyas)

There are two locations from where your config files get picked up during launching Creo.

1. <Creo Load Point>\CommonFiles\text

2. (Default Working Directory) (You can get this when you launch the Creo session and just check what is your default directory).

If you copy your custom config file into any of these two locations, you should be able to get them in effect.

Thanks,

Sachin

There are actually 3 locations that config files are read from, in this order. See CS28227.

1. The text folder in the loadpoint
  2. The user's home directory.  By default this is the operating system environment variable %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% for the user.  You can set %HOME% explicitly if you want to use something different.
  3. The startup directory. This can be set in the properties dialog of the icon used to launch Creo.  The "Start In" field is your startup directory.

If you are using a config.sup, it must go in location #1.  If multiple config.pro files are loaded, they are cumulative.  Where multiple config.pro files contain the same option, the value in the last file read wins.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Dear Doug,

Regarding the 3rd option I have tried by giving a network location, but still Creo is reading the config file from  The text folder in the loadpoint only.

1. Changed the start-in path "\\\\server\share\creo\common" but Creo is still reading the config.pro file from  "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M200\text"

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dhimant

Creo always starts reading from that location. Then it reads from the folder it is started in.

dbhensdadia
4-Participant
(To:dschenken)

ok. Then the question is why Creo is not able to read the config.pro file from network location "\\\\server\share\creo\common" ?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:dbhensdadia)

Map the server location to a drive letter and try that for your location.

x: drive mapped to \\server\share\creo

start-in folder uses  x:\common

dbhensdadia
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

Thanks Ben. I tried it and it is working correctly.

but without mapping the server location, is it not possible to achieve the same thing using the full network path "\\\\server\share\creo\common" ?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:dbhensdadia)

I thought PTC has said not to use UNC pathing on Windows, but I could be wrong. I have always used mapped drives for simplicity.

Found these in other articles on PTC support web pages:

When sharing a directory, for example a server directory, mapped drives give better performances than UNC path for the server and shared resource in the following format: \\server name\share name.

A standard file location can be the local disk r a mapped drive on a remote computer. The Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path for network rives is also considered as a standard path if the value for DisableUNCCheck  is set to True for he key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\Microsoft\Command Processor,  in  the  registry  file.

I'm sorry if this is some esoteric thing, but I don't see why you have four "\" characters at the start of your network drive designation. The syntax I use to access network drives is something like

\\server-name\directory\subdirectory

I don't need to "escape" the "\" character in my "Start in" settings for shortcuts.

Edit the PTC Creo Parametric desktop shortcut:

- right click the shortcut icon

- select "properties"

- select the "Shortcut" tab

- change the "Start in:" location to wherever you want to locate your config file (see image)

Top Tags